Steering is heavy all of the sudden?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey guys, another question.

i've had my truck parked in the garage since yesterday and today i went to go take it for a ride and the steering wheel is some what "heavy".

i think i just need more steering fluid?

not so sure.

let me know what you guys think the issue is.

OP
OP
NC-Expy

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any noise at all, even if it is all the way to one side?

not really, and what do you mean all the way to one side?

It drives fine but once i start to turn, i feel as if there is no power steering. the wheel is just really heavy

Reaction score
By all the way to one side I mean
like you were trying to make. Very sharp turn.
You if you went out to it while at idle can you turn the steering wheel with one hand?

OP
OP
NC-Expy

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
By all the way to one side I mean
like you were trying to make. Very sharp turn.
You if you went out to it while at idle can you turn the steering wheel with one hand?

while idle, i highly doubt it, it was really really heavy while turning 90 degrees into my drive way, and no, not really any sudden or sharp turns.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure the fluid level is OK.

Here's some other things to check:
-Visually check the steering linkage while an assistant rotates the steering wheel from stop to stop.
-Check the ball joints for binding, lack of lubrication or worn surfaces.
-Visually check the steering gear operation while an assistant rotates the steering wheel from stop to stop.

Or, the problem may be with the pump itself...

Reaction score
If it was fine going into your garage and bad coming out, Did you notice any fluid on the floor?
Have you been noticing any?

OP
OP
NC-Expy

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it was fine going into your garage and bad coming out, Did you notice any fluid on the floor?
Have you been noticing any?

yeah man! i actually remembered last night as i fell asleep, glad i remembered to mention!!!

there was about 3 medium sized drops leaking from the muffler as i brought it into the garage!

does that somewhat narrow it down?

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. in case you are not, no, that shouldnt be anything other than condensation coming from your exhaust.

OP
OP
NC-Expy

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. in case you are not, no, that shouldnt be anything other than condensation coming from your exhaust.

lol. wasn't being sarcastic just glad someone had mentioned it because i remembered that i did have some leaking.