Steering issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GA15 KingRanch

Reaction score
FNG Here

'15 4x4, has no steering capabilities and throws steering and Advancetrac codes on cold start. Temps not below 30f, and battery is brand new from Ford.
I'm hoping someone knows the issue and can simplify it before get further diag or replace the rack.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FNG Here

'15 4x4, has no steering capabilities and throws steering and Advancetrac codes on cold start. Temps not below 30f, and battery is brand new from Ford.
I'm hoping someone knows the issue and can simplify it before get further diag or replace the rack.

Thanks

Post the code numbers, please.

Are you saying the front wheels do not respond at all to steering wheel inputs? You mention cold starts. Is there a different behavior with a warm start?

Since you have electric steering, this could be as simple as a blown fuse. Have you checked for that?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2 on fuses and codes. I’d get the codes pulled first since some are stored with the lights. Unfortunately the EPAS (Electric Power Steering) system is more trouble prone with age than the Variable Assist Hydraulic Steering system. Seems electric rack replacement is commonplace on the F-150 sites post 100k miles. Are you higher mileage?

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GA15 KingRanch

Reaction score
X2 on fuses and codes. I’d get the codes pulled first since some are stored with the lights. Unfortunately the EPAS (Electric Power Steering) system is more trouble prone with age than the Variable Assist Hydraulic Steering system. Seems electric rack replacement is commonplace on the F-150 sites post 100k miles. Are you higher mileage?
For you and bobmbx, I'm out of town and my wife has it visiting her parents, it'll take me a second for codes (I'm at the mercy of their understanding and descriptiveness). But when started in the morning, the wheel is hard to turn, like mechanical w/o PS. no abnormal noises either. And eventually (possibly as the temp increases) it works again. It's about 80~100k miles. If that rule is solid, I'm gonna be bummed. Haha

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For you and bobmbx, I'm out of town and my wife has it visiting her parents, it'll take me a second for codes (I'm at the mercy of their understanding and descriptiveness). But when started in the morning, the wheel is hard to turn, like mechanical w/o PS. no abnormal noises either. And eventually (possibly as the temp increases) it works again. It's about 80~100k miles. If that rule is solid, I'm gonna be bummed. Haha

Uh......you shouldn't be driving a vehicle with unreliable steering.