steering stabalizer shock

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by wpatters1229, Jan 10, 2018.

1. wpatters1229

wpatters1229 Member

I have a 2000 4wd expedition that I converted from air shocks to shocks using the monroe 90010 conversion kit. Now the front end feels too bouncy and sometimes out of control. I wish the front coil over shocks where stiffer.
    Now in looking for a better front coil over shock I came across a steering stabilizer shock. Not sure how this would work and how it is installed. Does it help with my problem or is just for a worn out steering linkage?

2. deweysmith

deweysmith Full Access Members

When were the front shocks last replaced? I would bet if you replaced your front shocks, even with OEM or equivalent, that you'd find the ride quality improved drastically, unless you've done them recently.

3. highlandre

highlandre Member

Sounds line the front shocks are nearing end of life.

The steering stabilizer does exactly that, keep the wheels front steering linkage tight. I put one on my 98 to try and tighten up the steering so the girlfriend would drive it. She still won't.

Honestly I didn't notice a huge difference but it did help a bit.

4. Texpedition45

Texpedition45 Full Access Members

I have the kit from Rancho. It helps with steering, but what you're describing is typical going from the air shocks to the kit. The suspension is just going to be softer.