Steering wheel and puddle lights out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fexpedition08

Reaction score
I called Johns he led me to the GEM Module to reset it.

This is what I did:

This worked for me!!! I now have Steering Wheel Lights, Puddle Lights, Shifter Lights, Info Button Lights, and more. if anyone has any questions please let me know.
John, I can't find the video. can you share again?

dcsang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I figured it out...finally!!! I had to update because I hate when a thread goes unresolved.

The module shuts the output off to the puddle lights when they short out. The only way to turn it back on is either the dealer or forscan. I chose to buy the obd module off Amazon and download forscan and do it myself. Make sure you get the module with the toggle switch to swap from HS-CAN to MS-CAN.
I called Johns he led me to the GEM Module to reset it.

This is what I did:

This worked for me!!! I now have Steering Wheel Lights, Puddle Lights, Shifter Lights, Info Button Lights, and more. if anyone has any questions please let me know.

I am now dealing with this issue. Fuse 10 is fine, and I don't recall it blowing at any point. Just noticed the steering wheel illumination was out the other evening and subsequently confirmed that the puddle lights are also affected. I thought this might be a ground issue but don't have a diagram to trace. Can either of you share the details of what you reset exactly? Thought I'd try the least invasive option first.

dcsang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ventured into FORScan and found DTCs in the GEM/SBJ module due to a previously shorted LED headlamp. There were also unrelated IC codes that were no longer valid. I used FORScan to clear the codes and attempted to reset the GEM module, but the lights flashed and FORScan reported "Service Procedure is not supported" and halted at the 20% mark. I used the OBDLink EX adapter if that makes any difference.

My 2013 Expy remains without steering wheel control illumination or puddle lights. Hoping the shorted headlamp didn't cause any permanent damage and I'm open to any ideas as to how to logically troubleshoot this. Fuse #10 is good and I believe the circuit for both functions is FET controlled.

crome420

Reaction score
I ventured into FORScan and found DTCs in the GEM/SBJ module due to a previously shorted LED headlamp. There were also unrelated IC codes that were no longer valid. I used FORScan to clear the codes and attempted to reset the GEM module, but the lights flashed and FORScan reported "Service Procedure is not supported" and halted at the 20% mark. I used the OBDLink EX adapter if that makes any difference.

My 2013 Expy remains without steering wheel control illumination or puddle lights. Hoping the shorted headlamp didn't cause any permanent damage and I'm open to any ideas as to how to logically troubleshoot this. Fuse #10 is good and I believe the circuit for both functions is FET controlled.
Same. Fuse was never blown. Forscan did nothing. I'm out steering wheel lights, gear indicator lights, and puddle lights. 2014 Exp Limited

dcsang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same. Fuse was never blown. Forscan did nothing. I'm out steering wheel lights, gear indicator lights, and puddle lights. 2014 Exp Limited
Stay tuned... I will be posting a follow-up in a new thread that might be helpful to you. I just haven't had enough time over the last couple of weeks and would like to properly document my findings and experience with this issue.