Steering wheel and puddle lights out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonFrancis76

Reaction score
New problem with my '11 Expy xlt...
The lights on my steering wheel (cruise, volume, phone) are out. The controls still work. Also, the puddle lights under the mirrors and the console transmission idicator lights are out.

I fuse #10 controls these and was blown. I replaced it with a good fuse and still no lights.

I googled this and it seems to be a common problem but I can't find a solution.

Has anyone here had/resolved this problem. I did a search here but didn't find anything.

OP
OP
JonFrancis76

JonFrancis76

Reaction score
Bump because I haven't found a solution. I was hoping one of you guys had solved this.

Its a pain to hit the cruise and volume buttons in the dark.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this problem in my 2002 Explorer. The black ground wire split inside the rubber loom that runs from the drivers door to the drivers kick panel.
A very common issue in the Explorers. I am guessing the Expedition is wired similarly as I had the similar issue but I would also get the door ajar issue when the door was closed. So you might check for split wired in the doors.

Denethor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the new fuse to make sure it didn't blow the instant you put it in. The simple fact it was blown in the first place points towards what black said above, a short somewhere in the wiring.

Tonyd1976

Reaction score
Check the new fuse to make sure it didn't blow the instant you put it in. The simple fact it was blown in the first place points towards what black said above, a short somewhere in the wiring.

Thanks, checked that immediately and fuse is good as well as 12v in and out. Thinking there is a relay or module the fuse feeds that's causing the issue.

Tonyd1976

Reaction score
This still has me stumped at the moment, anybody find a resolution to this? Does anyone have access to a wiring diagram they can send me or let me know if theres a control module or relay? Thanks!

Tonyd1976

Reaction score
So I figured it out...finally!!! I had to update because I hate when a thread goes unresolved.

The module shuts the output off to the puddle lights when they short out. The only way to turn it back on is either the dealer or forscan. I chose to buy the obd module off Amazon and download forscan and do it myself. Make sure you get the module with the toggle switch to swap from HS-CAN to MS-CAN.

15760257396441103964837780130636.jpg

Last edited:

robinsnestkc

Reaction score
I called Johns he led me to the GEM Module to reset it.

This is what I did:

This worked for me!!! I now have Steering Wheel Lights, Puddle Lights, Shifter Lights, Info Button Lights, and more. if anyone has any questions please let me know.