Stock 16" rims (powdercoat) and tire size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've always liked the stock look of the original 16" rims on my 4x4 Expedition, which is sporting 265 75 16s now - I believe the original tire size is 245 70 16. What tire size do you guys recommend running on stock rims to keep my 4x4 right height nice and tall?

Also figured now would be a good time to refinish the wheels, which are showing their age. And I'm thinking of having them powder coated. Getting pricing on that now.

I've gone the basecoat/clearcoat route with the rims on my wife's car, and probably have a couple days of work into the prep, primering, base and clear process. And then the tire store chipped them up in no time. Don't want to go that route again... I want to keep them stock looking (not black). Any recommendations on what you guys have done would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited:

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you doing a lift? If not, probably a 33". If you are, then it depends on how big the lift.

OP
OP
71Rcode

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SG, I'm not planning on doing a lift. Keeping the stock ride height, which is not bad for a stock 4x4.

Dhorlo

Reaction score
I'm looking to do the exact same thing. I've seen other posts that 285/70R16 with fit but they are almost the same size as the 265/75R16 you're running now, just a little wider. Please post what you end up getting and maybe some pics.

And FYI, my stock tires are 255/70R16 on my 2002 Expedition.

Last edited:

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
powder coating is very reasonable these days. Got a set of 20" SRT rims coated for right around $400 then I hand painted the logo body colour. came out great.

396076_10151940853330510_1219612084_n_zpsdedcd5c6.jpg

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
stock size for the smaller 16" tires was 255/70 16. i also am running 265/75 16's and they fill up the wheel wells perfect IMO.

OP
OP
71Rcode

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm going to stick with the 265 75 16s, for sure. They do fill up the wheel wells perfectly! What semi-offroad tires do you guys recommend? (best bang for the buck?) Tire Products - Discount Tire Direct

One of my requirements is white letters NOT on the center part of the sidewall as my wife is always getting curb rash on the tires. The white lettering on my current tires is positioned on the sidewall where they won't hit the curb. Genius.

Found a guy to powder coat my wheels an aluminum color (restored vintage mustangs for many years in my free time and am a sucker for stock, what can I say?) for $65 per wheel. So I'm thinking about it... Washed the wheels this weekend and the didn't look bad at 10' away... so I may cheap out.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm going to stick with the 265 75 16s, for sure. They do fill up the wheel wells perfectly! What semi-offroad tires do you guys recommend? (best bang for the buck?) Tire Products - Discount Tire Direct

One of my requirements is white letters NOT on the center part of the sidewall as my wife is always getting curb rash on the tires. The white lettering on my current tires is positioned on the sidewall where they won't hit the curb. Genius.

Found a guy to powder coat my wheels an aluminum color (restored vintage mustangs for many years in my free time and am a sucker for stock, what can I say?) for $65 per wheel. So I'm thinking about it... Washed the wheels this weekend and the didn't look bad at 10' away... so I may cheap out.

I am a Cooper tire fanboy. I like my Maxx's and to me they are a perfect blend between on road and off road tire. Just for reference, 285/75/R16 will fit on your truck fine (33in tire). That is the size I run. The size you plan on running is a 31" tire. Just wanted to make sure this was clear in case you did want to run a bigger tire.

The Maxx's have knobs on the sidewall that will protect the white walls, but when you pay 200+ bucks a tire, you don't hit curbs haha.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i'm also a cooper tire fanboy and i'm looking for new summer tires next summer for my expedition. I also plan to stick with the 265/75's and i'm looking hard at the cooper AT3 but its not as aggressive as i'd like but the st maxx seems alittle more aggressive then i want to go....so i've been eyeing goodyear dura trac's for awhile now...