Stock could

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AskMeLater

Reaction score
I was looking for a decent mild off-road shock like a Bilstein 5100 or a pro comp MX6 shock but could find anything except the Bilstein 4600. Anybody know if there are any out there?

I recently installed the Bilstein 4600 on all four corners of my '03 4x4. My searching revealed that the 4600 is the only shock that Bilstein offers for the 2nd gen. I love them. Not too firm, not too soft. Full disclosure statement: they replaced the original Ford shocks, which had over 150k miles on them and were totally shot!

If you're just needing springs and you want new, I'd definitely start at rockauto.com Otherwise, I'd just pick up a set from the yard.

If you're going to install the coils yourself, I would highly recommend the OTC6494 spring compressor. I got mine off of eBay for $183 shipped. Worked like a charm!

If anybody in the Amarillo area wants to borrow my spring compressor, PM me and bring a case of beer. I keep what's left over!:happy160:

Last edited: