Strange drivers side window issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kapitanphil

Reaction score
Good morning Gents. I have a 2013 expedition. From time to time, my drivers side power window will stop working. If I pull the 15 amp fuse and reinsert it, it will work again.....the same fuse, not a new one. The fuse is not blown. Any idea what will cause this? About 6 months ago we had the motor replaced but it all functions fine. Weird that the fuse isn't blown, it just needs to be taken out and reinserted. Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks!

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good morning Gents. I have a 2013 expedition. From time to time, my drivers side power window will stop working. If I pull the 15 amp fuse and reinsert it, it will work again.....the same fuse, not a new one. The fuse is not blown. Any idea what will cause this? About 6 months ago we had the motor replaced but it all functions fine. Weird that the fuse isn't blown, it just needs to be taken out and reinserted. Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks!
Well you could just try replacing the fuse.

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the same situation in my 2015 EL Limited. The first time it happened, I pulled the fuse and re-inserted and window began working again. Now it has stopped working again and I am dragging my feet to tear into the fuse box in the front passenger wheel well because it is such a PIA

Modelcarguy

Reaction score
We had something similar happen in our 08. Turns out somewhere along the line it forgot it’s programming. It would stop working, then would work, but not the auto up or down. Next day the auto up and down would work but not the manual mode. Was frustrating. Biggest problem was not being able to set the programming itself. You need forscan to do it. That may be a trip to the dealer and about $50-$75 to check the software.

OP
OP
K

Kapitanphil

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. I have a friend with the forscan program so I will see what he can do. I'll let y'all know when I figure this mess out.

KOTU

Reaction score
I get the same issue on my '07 Navigator driver-side window especially when it's cooler weather. My thinking is that the glass binds within the track and as the motor pushes the glass up the motor overheats and stops to save the motor from burning out. I wait maybe thirty seconds and the motor will be okay and with another press of the switch the glass goes up. Sometimes I go through this with the window two or three times to get the glass up. The fuse does not blow because of the overheating protection inside the motor and the time it takes to test the fuse allows your motor to cool down. I appreciate your question Kapitanphil because you have inspired me to fix my window issue today. I plan to dry-lubricate the window's track and refresh the grease on the mechanism inside the door.

Gregory Kennedy

Reaction score
We have a 2010 Ford Expedition with the same issue. The window does not 'stick' at all, and is well-lubed. Has anybody solved this? I don't find it hard to pull the fuse and reinsert it, but it is getting to be a pain. And we have a brand-new regulator and motor in our driver's door, so motor burnout or overheating should not be an issue.

Reaction score
Perhaps my long junkyard experience is relevant here ~ many reasons electric windows don't work on a variety of vehicles ~ one I keep running into is the switches are cheaply
made, fail intermittently when worn (or pepsi syndrome) are crazy expensive oem new
(or unavailable / tacky repros) near first to go on a fresh junker are said swiches => a
solution is to be that guy w/ the spares (for easy testing) pic & pay staff are people also
find a way with your innate talents to entertain them / ingratiate yourself ~ fun to dress
talk a bit like them => borrow your neighbor's mutt bus (cute teenager etc) just don't
hoard or dream of an eBay empire ~ karma can be a *itch !

bodabdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The female sockets that your fuses plug into should be tight fitting. It's possible you are disturbing a poor fuse connection.
You can cut an old fuse in half and just plug in a single blade to feel how the individual contacts are mating. I've found a couple times that one loose blade can be a pain to find, especially if one blade is tight and the other is loose.
Accessory fuse taps that slide over the fuse blade can spread the female terminals.