Strange noises!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This first happened a couple weeks ago. It sounded just like the front tire hitting on an inner fender that had come loose and the tire had caught the edge. It lasted for only a few seconds but was pretty loud. That has been the loudest and longest so far. Now when I first start out cold, it will make this noise intermittently for a while, like 2 minutes, then 1 minute then a few seconds, then a few minutes.... no rhyme nor reason to it and the noise only lasts for a second or two. It does seem to be less as the vehicle has been driven for 5 miles or so.

I have had the vehicle up on jacks, replaced brake shoes, checked tie rod links, and done a general inspection of both front sides with the wheels off. There are no inner fender issues and the tires are not scraping. The tires are stock size on stock wheels.

I just got my plow on today for the first time. Its only 450 pounds and its a poly blade. I took it for a ride to see if the extra weight would make the noise occure more but it was no different than with the plow off. The shocks look old, and appear to be nearly rusted through as there are deep pits in them. I will be replacing these soon but still ride good.

Any ideas what else to check for? MAYBE its an idler pulley on the way out but I have never heard one make a noise like this before.

OP
OP
jrjr

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just went to the store. While driving about 20mph on perfectly smooth road, going straight, off the gas, the noise came and was intense! This time it sounded like some huge piece of metal on metal noise.... a groaning kinda. The suspension was not working so it must be in the drivetrain eh? I felt no vibration really and no other effect on the vehicle happened.

Last edited:

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you by chance have the A/C on? I have seen and witnessed a A/C compressor clutch lock up and before it did, it was intermittent. It sounds to me by your examples that this is something of a pulley with bearings, or a bearing operated device as it sounds as if the bearings are locking up or dry and bearings rolling on metal. Like hub or wheel bearings, let me know.

OP
OP
jrjr

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Years ago I had an a/c compressor set up in a 4cyl car and the entire motor came to a schreeching halt with burning belt!!

This is possible since the ac runs in heat mode in most positions. Not sure which ones. Normally it's defrost only but I think the Expy is more....

Anyone know which ones fire the ac compressor? All but panel only maybe?

OP
OP
jrjr

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From research I have found that the AC will run in any mode except panel and floor. Next outing I will run in one of those and see if it makes a difference.

OP
OP
jrjr

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Drove about 65 miles today and never heard the noise at all. I tried with and without compressor running. Maybe it fixed itself..... one can hope right?

OP
OP
jrjr

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Drove about 65 again today. In an s curve at about 35mph it made noise again while turning right. This time it sounded like..... well..... imagine something like a drive shaft turning maybe 40 rpm. A really smooth finished shaft. Take a piece of flat stock and hold against it while its turning. It was a smooth sounding rubbing sound this time that lasted for 4 or 5 seconds. I can't make it happen it's completely random. Very odd.

OP
OP
jrjr

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I checked and found play in both front wheel bearings today. They wiggle a bit both in the 12/6 plane and the 9/3 plane. Anyone think these could cause my noises?

I plan to order the set of Timkens from 1A auto @ $305 for both. Gonna try the Timken again..... hope I have better luck than with that old Sunfire!

Edit
By the way, I verified that it is not the AC.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jrjr

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ebay seller happened to be fairly close by to me and they replaced the bearing for me. I took out the old and delivered it to them and picked up a new one. Done deal. On the road again!!