Strange rotten egg smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LyoddChrissmiss

Reaction score
Hey folks, past couple of days it seems like the inside has a strange rotten egg like smell (sulfur)
New 2020, 1300 miles. Just had an oil change the other day and noticed it after that.
Could it be a bad exhaust cat? Bad tank of gas.
Truck runs fine, just kinda scratching my head hear.

2018expyXLT4wd

Reaction score
Could be the catalytic converter. Perhaps the internal air filter behind the glove compartment should be replaced ?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey folks, past couple of days it seems like the inside has a strange rotten egg like smell (sulfur)
New 2020, 1300 miles. Just had an oil change the other day and noticed it after that.
Could it be a bad exhaust cat? Bad tank of gas.
Truck runs fine, just kinda scratching my head hear.

Could you have parked or driven over something that melted to the exhaust system, causing the smell?

Any chance you have a dead rodent somewhere in the vehicle or the air distribution system?

Any chance there are rotting leaves / debris / etc., on the cowl by the windshield wipers?

OP
OP
LyoddChrissmiss

LyoddChrissmiss

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, but definitely not those.
I pulled the cabin AF, not a spec of dust on it.
I guess to the dealer it goes

OP
OP
LyoddChrissmiss

LyoddChrissmiss

Reaction score
No when parked windows up in garage I get in then I really notice it. The once I start driving and ac on, it i don’t really notice it

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No when parked windows up in garage I get in then I really notice it. The once I start driving and ac on, it i don’t really notice it
I bet it's the same smell I have. The dealer checked my cabin filter and made sure the AC system was draining as it was supposed to. They ran out of ideas after that and just deodorized my AC system. Which didn't work. So I am just living with it and hope it will go away come cooler temps. Or something. It's annoying but it does go away within 60 seconds, so I will find other things to worry about in my life.

OP
OP
LyoddChrissmiss

LyoddChrissmiss

Reaction score
OMG! I found the problem. Went to the grocery Sunday....Today, just now went looking for some frozen burgers to grill just now and low and behold.... I’m an idiot

I didn’t see them behind the second row captains chair....they were sealed but still pretty nasty

B9242DAD-CFE8-453B-9194-6DD01FF37076.jpeg

Last edited: