Strange Sound On Start-Up....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

MobyDick

Sometimes when it is cold out, and almost always when it is really hot outside, I get this odd sound like the engine is revving high when I first accelerate - only lasts a few hundred yards. But the revs are normal. Sounds a bit like a drastic air intake for a few seconds then it settles down.

Any ideas what that may be.

GRIP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
alittle more info on the truck please year and model but it might be the fan till the fan culch kicks off.

OP
OP
M

MobyDick

It is a 2004 5.4 liter with 55,000 miles. Come to think of it, I have noticed this sound at low speed when it is really hot out and I am in stop-and-go driving. Disappears when I speed up. Does not explain why it would come on when the engine is cold, despite a high ambient temperature. The sound also increase a bit with engine speed.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fan clutch gets "stiff" when cold and will engage first thing in the morning just like it does in traffic when it is hot out. It uses a silicone fluid inside to grip so it acts the same when it is very cold out as it does when it activates when hot.