strut questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all. Planning a 3200 mile trip at the end of the year so im getting a parts liat together for the Expy. Currently im trying to figure out what shocks to go with.

I have an 09 Expy EL.

I wanted to go with they KYB strut assembly and simply swap them in. However i cant find the rears for a reasonable price and rock auto is sold out. The. I also dont know if they are for the EL or not, there is no clarification.

I dont want Bilsteins because they provide a harsher ride quality in my experiance. We have very bad roads, and live down a bumpy dirt road.

This trip the truck will be loaded up and i kind of wanted to get a set of self levling struts but it seems like only Motorcraft makes those, and they dont last long from what i have been reading.

Anyone have any thoughts on struts?

Im leaning towards just getting KYB struts and just assembling them myself.

If anyone has thoughts, opinions, and most importantly experiance i would love to hear from you.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of hyped up high priced overly stiff and adjustable shocks and I would bet 99% of the adjustable ones get set one time and forgotten. I will probably go with Monroes and borrow a spring compressor from the auto parts store so I can save money, have a decent ride , and not worry about the spring rate changing every time I change a shock.

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all. Planning a 3200 mile trip at the end of the year so im getting a parts liat together for the Expy. Currently im trying to figure out what shocks to go with.

I have an 09 Expy EL.

I wanted to go with they KYB strut assembly and simply swap them in. However i cant find the rears for a reasonable price and rock auto is sold out. The. I also dont know if they are for the EL or not, there is no clarification.

I dont want Bilsteins because they provide a harsher ride quality in my experiance. We have very bad roads, and live down a bumpy dirt road.

This trip the truck will be loaded up and i kind of wanted to get a set of self levling struts but it seems like only Motorcraft makes those, and they dont last long from what i have been reading.

If anyone has thoughts, opinions, and most importantly experiance i would love to hear from you.

I have rear Nivomats in my garage, still assembled, if you want them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll take some Monroe regular duty shocks only without the spring rate possibly altering any day and they should work fine until I sell it in the future.

OP
OP
M

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This subject of Bilsteins has been discussed before - https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/are-bilsteins-really-worth-it.42412/page-3#post-381220. More than one of us noted no significant 'harshness' from our Bilsteins.

Ya, I have seen that a time or 3. . . I still get notifications for it. And the consensious is, if you stay on good roads they are great, but if you travel on bad roads or dirt roads with washboard they are terrible. I have a lot of experience with Bilstein stocks and everyone's thought align perfectly with my experience. Bilsteins = harsh ride on bad roads.

I have rear Nivomats in my garage, still assembled, if you want them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks but I just went ahead and got some KYBs. I had Monroes on a couple of my vehicles and they didn't last long before they started leaking, so I'm hesitant to use them.

I guess I didn't clarify very well. I didn't want to get a shock designed for the standard length Expy and install it on my EL. wasn't sure if the KYB were for EL or not. I dont think they are, but im going to give them a shot.

I see Motorcraft has Shocks for both the 119" wheelbase and the EL 131" wheelbase. but there are stock issues with the on rockauto and the local dealers want $297 per strut (Strut only, not installed). . . .

I will post my results with the KYB struts when I get them installed.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never ran KYB on a truck but I've had them on a few cars in the past. I've ran the GR2, Excel-G, and AGX. All performed significantly better than stock. Generally a firmer ride but that was my intention in all instances. I dod not do the strut plus assemblies and chose different springs. The GR2, predecessor to the Excel-G was probably the softest, was on a Camry but slightly more stiff/responsive than factory. The others were on GM W body platform vehicles. The AGX was like riding on rails but that was the intent as it was built for track duty. Mileage wise I didnt get too high before any of the vehicles moved on, roughly 35-40k on the camry. They held up well. If I were to replace struts on my expedition I would likely put KYB at the top of my list based on past experience.

TDBDLB

Reaction score

I have an 09 Expy EL.

TDBDLB

Reaction score
My 2010 Limited 4x4 rear original OEM 170K, handles great tows 4K boat well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69