Strutmasters conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tedstech

Reaction score
I am getting ready to install the strutmaters conversion on my 2006 Lincoln navigator. I just wanted to know if anybody had experience with this on their vehicle. I am most concerned about the ride height. I want to make sure that the vehicle will not sit higher than the stock trim height. I am worried that most conversions ride height is higher than stock which I do not want.Thank you for the input

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 03 I might eventually switch over.
Strutmaster is too expensive.
They are all over ebay cheaper.
I am leaning toward the adjustable ones with the double lock rings. That way I can raise or lower....I just want it to look normal. Not down on wheels but not 3+ inches above tires.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Double lock adjustible ring stuff is the cheapest Chinese crap.

Stock unloaded ride height *IS* ~5.5" rear, ~5" front tire-to-wheel-arch clearance... at least on a 3rd gen 4x4 Gator L with springs

<3" would be a severe drop, and turn the vehicle into a bulky station wagon... also, with questionable generic coilovers, the rear might sag enough to do damage with passengers or cargo back there, since this IS likely by far THE heaviest vehicle the offbrand Chinese manufacturers supply shocks for

OP
OP
T

Tedstech

Reaction score
The adjustable ones on eBay are perfect in theory but I am way too scared of the Chinese quality. That is why I’m trying to get a reputable company but I am just worried about the raised look.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The adjustable ones on eBay are perfect in theory but I am way too scared of the Chinese quality. That is why I’m trying to get a reputable company but I am just worried about the raised look.

The only truly raised ones are Ranchos, and even that is pretty subtle

Big wheel gap is the stock norm, it's the modders with big wheel/tire combos on raised suspensions that DON'T have wheel gaps (but actually sit 3" - 5" higher)

Guys with tired airbag suspensions are just so used to it sagging they forget that it wasn't originally that way

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not really sure that that's accurate about tired airbags springs. If you don't have a warning light on the dash then it's sitting at the proper height at least for that point in time. The system is fairly complex and if anything gets out of spec it will tell you to check suspension. There are two heights also. It automatically raises approximately an inch when you put it into four-wheel drive. I did find a good spec one time in my researching of the air spring systems that told exactly what the height was from the ground to the center of the bottom edge of the fender opening for front and rear. That would be the most accurate way to check.
I guess I was a little under estimating in my original 3+ inch number as when you start the vehicle and it airs up they are pretty much up off the tires which I do prefer that look better then the slammed look that some people like with their big ad on wheels and tires. Some of the people that complained about the strutMasters and other conversions there that it's too high. It's a four-wheel-drive... it's designed to sit high unless you're changing the factory parameters which door replacement company is going to do as a typical normal thing.
The only thing I've been disappointed with and will not buy again off of eBay for cars are the window regulator assemblies. They were under $35 a piece but both failed within mere weeks. I will stick with the dorman locally even though they are 80 they have a lifetime warranty and they seem to last much longer.
I wouldn't be surprised if the strutmaster components are not also made in China so I kind of question how much worse eBay ones to be. Regardless, Strutmasters has never been the cheapest option for air suspension components. . Just cheaper than factory. They advertise a lot to. I have used Arnott for years because they were cheaper than Strutmasters.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a supercritical opinionated person and love to bash things every chance I get when they are inferior than the norm but I refrain from bashing everything on eBay or from China as cheap junk as some people do. It seems to be that most things are about the same quality albeit much lower than it used to be regardless of where you get them or where they are made.

OP
OP
T

Tedstech

Reaction score
Strutmasters are acutually less expensive than armott and are advertised to be manufactured in the United States. I have witnessed offbrand Chinese lowering springs purchased on eBay fail multiple times on other types of vehicles. I will not chance it in something that could create a safety concern. Other things such as window regulators I would rather take a chance on. Worst case scenario your window does not roll up

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Strutmasters are acutually less expensive than armott and are advertised to be manufactured in the United States. I have witnessed offbrand Chinese lowering springs purchased on eBay fail multiple times on other types of vehicles. I will not chance it in something that could create a safety concern. Other things such as window regulators I would rather take a chance on. Worst case scenario your window does not roll up

I know. I used Arnott for years but not any more. They have gone way up.
Eddie over on the town car forum used to have better prices than strutmaster and I got a set or two from him.

The regulators a didn't last over 25 roll ups and downs so too annoying.

The only way I see springs fail is a spring breaking and that only lets it sit a little lower. Not dangerously or anything like a blown of empty air spring like stock setup.

Not really a safety issue for me... but certainly annoying and not worth it IF they break withing 2-3 years.

It would amaze me if every part of the strutmasters are made in US.
Few things are today. I actually had a plastic lawnmower drive wheel from Craftsman last fall made in USA. Got it from amazon.

Most things are made with US and global sourced parts....assembled in US or "rooted" in USA....
Tenneco does make shocks just a few miles from me though and most companies have a larger one make the stuff for them to their specs and needs...so maybe.

Last edited: