Stumped on Roaring Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
A bad lower ball joint can make some weird sounds.

OP
OP
99dition83

99dition83

Reaction score
Still haven't got around to doing the passenger side yet. Have you ever had a bad bearing get quiet under load though? That is why I initially replaced the left side because it would quiet down when making a left turn and pulling the load off of it. Only reason I never suspected the passenger side of being bad. The truck does have a wicked exhaust leak both at the head and the flange. On the short list of things to get repaired. It hard here finding someone that even wants to touch the manifold replacement on it.

OP
OP
99dition83

99dition83

Reaction score
Would it make the roar of a bad bearing? I did a lot of reading and everyone seemed to have a different answer for the "roar". Plus the speed thing has me confused below 35 nothing 35 and above noise. I am even getting a pretty steady rumble sensation through the steering and even the gas pedal

David Kimble

Reaction score
Not sure but I have a similar noise with my all-wheel drive that changes depending on whether I'm accelerating or not. Mine does occur at higher speeds. Best I can tell it's the slip joint for the front drive shaft which causes a roar type noise that can be felt. It's my understanding you can repack them with grease and it will stop that vibration by tightening up the tolerances in the drive shaft. I'm just too lazy to fix it since it's not a failure type thing. I can usually make mine go away by accelerating slightly.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
When your lower ball joint is bad, your tire is thrust into weird rolling angles. It can sound like a noisy tire or bearing. Turning the steering wheel will change it, or make it louder. Look at your front tires, are the inner ribs wearing?

OP
OP
99dition83

99dition83

Reaction score
I just bought the truck, The noise was not there initially. I did notice that the rears are feathered pretty bad which now makes me think they may have rotated them to keep it quiet. I had plans to replace front end parts to begin with just not this soon. Looks as though the elimination process shall begin.

OP
OP
99dition83

99dition83

Reaction score
So got it figured out. It was a combination between the left bearing that had been replaced now 3 times and the right front bearing going bad. Finally got both replaced today and the noise is gone. I tested the left front first before replacing the right. It cleared a little bit of the noise. The right side cleared the rest. I can say I now think I may start replacing bearings in pairs, as to not stress myself for nothing next time.