Sunroof won’t open upward to vent mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcvanvorst

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 Expedition EL Limited. Sunroof will slide open and close but will not open into vent mode. Any ideas on cause?

sorry if this has been covered before- I searched but couldn’t find a previous thread.

JVV

Blksmk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quick search on Google.

The windows, vents, and sunroof are all powered after the accessory delay relay located in the fuse box (not the battery box). Check that relay to make sure it's in tight.

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Since the slide function works it might be the vent switch. Might be worth working the switch a little in case it's just a bad contact.

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine suddenly quit opening. The sr will move slightly up or down but will not continue to open. In other words, it's getting power and the motor starts to do its thing...

Expedition007

Reaction score
There is only one motor that powers the sunroof. The tilt function is basically sliding the sunroof shut... and then going a little further. There is a calibration that needs to be run after repairing the sunroof. I do not recall the procedure, but it is simple and could easily be entered while fidgeting with the switches accidentally. I had the all too common slide/guide system failure on mine... like most all Ford cars and trucks built in the past 20 years. It’s like a $2,000 repair at the dealer, but I ordered the higher quality guides online for around $75 and spent the afternoon pulling the headliner out and doing the repair on the picnic table. After reassembly, I found the sunroof was not opening and closing to the correct endpoints, until the calibration was run.

Expedition007

Reaction score
Mine suddenly quit opening. The sr will move slightly up or down but will not continue to open. In other words, it's getting power and the motor starts to do its thing...

Have you had any unexpected small pieces of plastic fall from the headliner? This was the start of the guides failing on mine. When my sunroof opened slightly crooked a few inches, I knew I was in trouble! It wasn’t a bad job to replace them and restore the function like new.

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you had any unexpected small pieces of plastic fall from the headliner? This was the start of the guides failing on mine...

Nothing like that from what I could tell. It went from working to not working just like that. It did however, quit working when the womenfolk in my life (wife/daughters) were driving. I wasn't present.

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The dealer told me it was the track and an $1100 part plus 10 or 20 hours to fix (by the Ford book). I don't recall if it was 10 or 20. I just knew were going to do without a sunroof.

After reading your posts, though, there may be life after dealer.