Suspension advice please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

404NltFound

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new to the forum and looking for some feedback.

I've used google and the search bar here but I'm not really finding an answer to my question directly.

How do I get my 02 XLT 4wd to ride "like a truck"? Side note-it doesn't have air suspension.

Long story short back in the day I had an 02 FX4 F150. It was stiff and flat for as tall as it was, and that was just with the Rancho 5000 series (I did replace with REAL Rancho shocks) and basically I want the Expedition to ride similarly to that, because my wife hates it due to the boat like sway and feel. It's just too soft, and it has Rancho 5000 series as well.

I know the easy solution is to sell it for a F150 Fx4 but this was my grandpas and he passed away, so that's not really an option for me.

I know that the X has coils in the rear and the F has leaf springs, but when looking at the Ford part website the shocks and struts all seem to share part numbers for the most part. The reason I bring this up is, by looking on this site, I saw something about the Rancho 9000 series setup. On Ranchos site there's no 9000 series for the rear of the X but there is for the F150. Since the parts seem to be shared on the Ford oem site, I didn't know if this would transition into the realm of rancho as well. I gathered from this forum that the adjustable shocks/struts would allow me to stiffen up the ride a little, giving it the feel of a truck.

I know, it's technically not a truck. The weight over where the bed would be makes quite a difference on the ride vs a pickup. I just need some help figuring out how to get a stiff, "off road" feeling from my expedition so my wife won't complain every time she rides in it.

To add, I would prefer ranchos not because they're "the best" but because I loved my Fx4 and I want it to kind of have that spirit, but if that's really not an option then so be it. I also can't lift it because occasionally my grandmother borrows it to haul flowers and such from Lowes, and she's had both knees replaced.

I apologize for the longevity and possible difficulty of this question, but I've searched high and low coming up with no real answers because of mixed reviews and differentiating results.

Thank you for your time.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you go to the Rancho website and say that your Expedition has a custom suspension with 4" of lift, you will get options for the RS7000 (stiffest) and RS9000 (soft to medium/hard) series. So, it's possible there are options for a stock height- they just may not list them as they feel they are too stiff for the typical person buying shocks for an unmodified suspension vehicle.

You can also get a stiffer rear sway bar. There are a couple options there.

You could also get a spring spacer for the rear to raise it and then cut a coil or so out (I haven't done the math to know exactly how much) to keep it at stock height. This would result in a stiffer spring.

The trailing arms may also be rusted and flexing AND/OR the bushing could be shot.

You may also want to check the front suspension: bushings, steering components, sway bar end links......

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I remember a couple years back when I was trying also to get Rancho 9000 for my 2000 4x4, they didn't have the right ones for standard suspension, for all 4 corners. They did make them for the lifted versions I believe . Check with 4 wheel parts. They also have another shock that's fully adjustable, sorry can't remember name. You also can change to a stiffer spring in the rear. Do you have torsion bar suspension in front? You can probably get different tensions for those as well. I know they make different keys that adjust height. Stock these vehicles do have a spongy feel, it's a family vehicle with up to 8 people. Bouncy is not what sells these when new. Cushy does, but you can change that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
404NltFound

404NltFound

Reaction score
Moose, thanks for the reply.

Yes it does have the torsion bars in front. Also, I was unaware that they made stiffer springs for the rear. I actually think your post from a couple of years ago might be where I got some of my info, so I thank you for that.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's right about when I joined the Forum. Check around if you can't find stiffer springs, theirs companies that can make a set. That would be pricey though. Check to see if maybe the f150/250 spring will work, in the event you can't get one for your SUV. Theirs always a way if you try hard enough.

OP
OP
404NltFound

404NltFound

Reaction score
I had a 2006 f250 and it had rear coils, so I was wondering about that.

Speaking of, and I don't know if you guys could weigh in on this, but I was looking at the ford parts website and noticed that the F150 and the Expedition had a similar rear shock number. The expedition is 18V125/ASHV-876 and the F150 Screw Fx4 is 18V125-856. Here's the difference:
876 is 3"x3.75"x19.69"
856 is 3.25"x4.25"x25.25"

I don't know a ton about suspension when it's outside the realm of "this part will/won't fit your vehicle", but i have a theory. If that is the extended length, not compressed, then technically the shock/strut for a Fx4/4x4 f150 should fit on an expedition, and the sheer weight of the expedition should help kind of level it out, size would make it a bit stiffer, and it would also give it more suspension travel, right? Meaning any aftermarket suspension could be retrofitted to the expedition since they're based on the same platform.

I promise I'm not as stupid as I probably sound, suspension mods are just new to me.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The f150 one is almost six inches longer. Unless you do a
small lift, you'd have to too much. On a normal install you compress about two inches to install. You could use the longer shock, but you will need to lift it some.

OP
OP
404NltFound

404NltFound

Reaction score
Hey 1955Moose I did a little math and research and wanted to get your opinion on something please.

So the weight and rating of the Expedition is as follows:
Weight (Curb): 5,345lbs
Weight (Gross): 7,200lbs
Spring Rate (Front): 3,500lbs
Spring Rate (Rear): 4,200lbs

and the weight and rating of the F-150 4x4 Super Cab (7700 payload group) is as follows:
Weight (Curb): 4,628lbs
Weight (Gross): 6,250lbs
Spring Rate (Front): 4,150lbs
Spring Rate (Rear): 4,800lbs

Both use the torsion bar spring in the front, so that could potentially be a direct swap for the 650lb rating difference.

I'm assuming the majority of the weight difference is in the rear, since the two vehicles are similar in length. This would mean the leaf spring suspension is already rated +600lbs more than the Expeditions coil spring.

The curb vehicle weight difference is Expedition, +717lbs. The gross vehicle weight is Expedition, +950lbs.

Based on the curb weight, the coil spring rate would need to be in the ballpark of 5,517lbs.
Based on the Gross weight, the coil spring rate would need to be around 5,750lbs.

Based on these swaps and calculations, the shocks and struts could be Rancho 5000 series, and would theoretically have the exact feeling I am looking for out of the trucks ride, if my hypothesis is correct.

According to the Ford Fleet information on the Ford Expedition, the rear coil spring has the dimensions as follows:
Working Height: 9.97"
Outside Diameter: 7.0"
Wire Diameter: .748"
Deflection Rate at Ground (lbs per in./ each): 230/380
Rating at each pad (lbs per spring): 1824lbs

So, if I could find a spring that had those basic dimensions and supported 2,700-2,900lbs a piece, and swapped the front torsion springs, I would achieve the ride quality I am looking for.

I would love your input on my math and theory, if you have the time.

Here's the tech document I found for the First gen Expedition, if anyone is interested.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/2002/expedicd.pdf

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You really did your homework. In theory it sounds right. Bottom line is you'll need to see if it will all bolt up proper, and how it's going to ride. That's always the kicker. You might want to pick the brains of some of the custom shops, either in person, or by phone. See if anybody's done this conversion. Bottom line, make sure your springs and parts are returnable just in case. Maybe one of our members have done what your contemplating. If it does workout, it would be a great stickie for anyone wanting to do what your doing in the future.