Sync 3 maps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Buy a cheap cell phone mount (I like the wireless charging vent clip variety), and use android auto. It will let you use it while in motion, gives traffic alerts and speed trap alerts (Google maps) and uses the factory nav screen and buttons.

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am glad those of you who responded like what "3rd Party" unit you prefer. But there are a few of us (maybe 'many') who like using the 'in dash' unit that came with our vehicle. Personally I've had no problems with it and it has gotten me where I wanted to go. Admittedly sometimes I had to try more than 1 way to find what I wanted but it worked.

On another vehicle I have I was able to purchase an update that comes on a 'flashdrive' and it was a fairly simple operation to update the maps/navigation.

I was hoping this would be the way our Ford would work too? Not so???

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Hadn't signed in to the Ford Owner site in a while but just did so. Got an alert that a new Sync update is available and it also mentions new maps which is something I have never seen before in any of the prior Sync updates I have done. I'm going to finish the update tomorrow. Will be curious to see what version the maps are afterwards.

sync3v3.jpg

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
"New" Sync? I recall Sync3 v3.0 been around for a couple of years. Pretty sure the maps in this version are still circa 2015 (one five). Hate to say it, but I depend on my Garmin GPS rather than the expensive unit sitting in the middle of my dashboard.

Still a decent upgrade despite antiquated maps.

-- Chuck

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Ford has a very odd versioning system. Sync 3 v3.0 has been out a while with several updates but the version remains as 3.0. The build changes, however. And this is a new build.

Also noticed that the Ford navigation site also has new maps available for 2017 vehicles. Both via download for $100 and USB for $150. I'm going to do the update. I've used my iPhone for most navigation for many years but sometimes the vehicle system is a lifesaver when out in the sticks with no mobile/internet coverage. $100 for new maps is fine with me.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
What's the build number? Mine sits outside my office and notes it checked for updates yesterday and found I was current. Didn't mention maps, though.

Beware the new maps may be out of date. Do they give a revision date? Good Garmin GPS with free lifetime maps and data can be found for not much over $100. Frequent map updates. Yeah it looks clunky on top of the dash.

-- Chuck

RogerD1959

2.5 Months Ltr, and Final Bill 22K+
Reaction score
Hyundai was still stuck on 2013 when I ditched my 2015 SantaFE 3 row for my Expedition EL this passed February 2019. It's kind of sad, manufacturers put this tech in the vehicle, then don't support it. I would prefer a SYNC 3 update that lets you use the, "Mirror", feature on a Android so you can sling the phones screen over to the screen in the vehicle. I use Google, rarely do I need the vehicles system.

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Just finished the updates. Took about 15 minutes for the Sync update. My old version was Build 18093_PRODUCT. The new version is Build 19205_PRODUCT.

Chuck, this update was over 800MB compressed so I don't think they make it available via WiFi. I have a router in my garage and the vehicle connects regularly but this one did not come up. Had to log into the Ford owner site to see the alert.

The new maps are indeed out of date. The latest maps are apparently from the 1st quarter of 2018. The prior maps installed in the vehicle since I bought it new were from the 1st quarter of 2015.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just finished the updates. Took about 15 minutes for the Sync update. My old version was Build 18093_PRODUCT. The new version is Build 19205_PRODUCT.

Chuck, this update was over 800MB compressed so I don't think they make it available via WiFi. I have a router in my garage and the vehicle connects regularly but this one did not come up. Had to log into the Ford owner site to see the alert.

The new maps are indeed out of date. The latest maps are apparently from the 1st quarter of 2018. The prior maps installed in the vehicle since I bought it new were from the 1st quarter of 2015.

When the Sync3 3.0 version came out, Ford advertised a 30 Day (not a typo) download time over Wi-Fi. Almost everyone on this forum utilized the thumb drive method instead.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chase5817