Sync 3 maps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
anyone know if there is a way to get updated maps into Sync 3?

I cannot understand for the life of me why my 2017 truck is running a 2014 maps with no clear way to update...

Cy Webit

Reaction score
From what I understand, their may be a way to get an update, you would need to go to (or try calling) a dealer and provide your SYNC3 S/N and they can order the Map updates. They will be tied to your unit only. Don't know if the update is actually worth it though. Somewhere around $200 I believe. I just went to the ford owners site and got this nice message when trying to get an updated map....

"Thank you for your interest in a navigation update for your SYNC 3 system.
You currently have the most recent map update available.
The first map update is expected to be available approximately July 2019.
Please check back later. Thank you
"

OP
OP
C

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From what I understand, their may be a way to get an update, you would need to go to (or try calling) a dealer and provide your SYNC3 S/N and they can order the Map updates. They will be tied to your unit only. Don't know if the update is actually worth it though. Somewhere around $200 I believe. I just went to the ford owners site and got this nice message when trying to get an updated map....
"

I had seen some stuff online about people using European downloads to upload the Sync maps, but I couldn't figure out exactly how to do it and there were mixed bag of ancillary problems I saw people running into. I was hoping someone here had a more reliable free solution.

Unfortunately they don't do the SD card based updates anymore so we will each be forced to pay some ridiculous price for whatever half-done map update they produce. I definitely miss the old SD-card based updates and their easy copying.

MuddySpokes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Two words: Gar Min

Bonus is that a stand-alone device does not have the potential to leak data of where you are going via the satellite link. Although, I have not found a way to prevent this from happening in terms of where we are at any given moment.

MuddySpokes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Three issues with waze. It is battery intensive. It reports location back to the mothership. In metro areas, it makes a local highway incident a regional nightmare all the way down to clogging residential streets. Aside from that, it is good :D

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Three issues with waze. It is battery intensive. It reports location back to the mothership. In metro areas, it makes a local highway incident a regional nightmare all the way down to clogging residential streets. Aside from that, it is good :D
Your cellphone reports back to the mothership.

But remember, its all done for customer convenience:boxed:

MADEXP

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Meh, I am good with all that, still my fav..

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wanted to upgrade my maps but for that cost I bought a stand alone Garmin with free lifetime upgrades. It was worth it for me because I can use the Garmin in both the 2017 Limited and the 2013 F150 XLT.

MuddySpokes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Exactly. And depending on the model, you can buy the traffic alerts which is a one-time cost. Can buy speed trap information too, but this is an annual cost. If you happen to travel outside of the US, can take all that functionality with you.