SYNC 3 - which version are you at?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Multitask0

Reaction score
I'd be interested in what you did that allowed 3.3 on a 2016 unit.
Typically only 2019+ can do 3.3+

First off, was the Unit OEM to the 2016 vehicle? Or did you upgrade it?

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd be interested in what you did that allowed 3.3 on a 2016 unit.
Typically only 2019+ can do 3.3+

First off, was the Unit OEM to the 2016 vehicle? Or did you upgrade it?
I never upgraded anything other than the usb interface. Ford dealership did the rest but I paid nothing for whatever they did

Multitask0

Reaction score
Wondering which version of Sync 3 are you running at?

I have SYNC 3, Version 3.0, Build 17276 - having some issues with it (massaging seats glitches, Send to Vehicle new destination from FordPass app not working, etc). Tried to download updates from owner.ford.com but it shows that no updates are available for me... WiFi update cannot find anything or not working at all - I cannot say for sure, but it's not working either.
Searched online, F-150 and Rangers guys have versions 3.3 and way higher Build numbers...

Is it just me or all Expedition owners stuck with older version? Thx.

so there is no confusion, 3.0_17xxx or 18xxx or 19xxx is for vehicles up to 2018, usually 3.3+ is for 2019+ vehicles....
THere Are some APIMs that are coming out of China that have been modified to have 3.3 on them. I personally would not trust those... but that is me.

For 3.0, if the site says you are up to date, it means that Ford determined that your vehicle does not need the newer versions right now... someday they might...

Multitask0

Reaction score
I never upgraded anything other than the usb interface. Ford dealership did the rest but I paid nothing for whatever they did

OK, good enough, this means they did one of 2 things, knew how to upgrade you to 3.3 on the stock APIM from a 2016, OR replaced the APIM to a 2019 unit (as well as the USB ports)

were you having issues with the APIM? (just want to know in case they did the replacment)

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, good enough, this means they did one of 2 things, knew how to upgrade you to 3.3 on the stock APIM from a 2016, OR replaced the APIM to a 2019 unit (as well as the USB ports)

were you having issues with the APIM? (just want to know in case they did the replacment)
No, my wife’s 2016 was in the shop for a turbo oil coolant line replacement and she was given a 2019 F-150 as a rental and she loved the sync 3.3. I purchased the USB interface off amazon for my 2016 as well As hers and installed it and had ford do the rest. What they did I have no clue as it was not on the shop warranty paper I got upon pickup

Multitask0

Reaction score
No, my wife’s 2016 was in the shop for a turbo oil coolant line replacement and she was given a 2019 F-150 as a rental and she loved the sync 3.3. I purchased the USB interface off amazon for my 2016 as well As hers and installed it and had ford do the rest. What they did I have no clue as it was not on the shop warranty paper I got upon pickup

You might want to go back at ask. It will matter down the road for any updates, or warrenty issues... more for you to know , but I'm sure those of us might want to know. 8)

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might want to go back at ask. It will matter down the road for any updates, or warrenty issues... more for you to know , but I'm sure those of us might want to know. 8)
I called they said they gave me a new APIM or whatever that thing is as a courtesy for being a returning customer for 12 years

Multitask0

Reaction score
I called they said they gave me a new APIM or whatever that thing is as a courtesy for being a returning customer for 12 years

Ok, that makes much more sense, so they replaced it with an APIM from a 2019 , so you legitimatly have a unit that can do more than the old ones.
Background colors is one of them...

3.3 is out now, 3.4 would be out real soon. 8)

You should high Five them, they don't normally do that.

Multitask0

Reaction score
So to continue the thread..
I just got my APIM with Nav to replace my APIM no nav, and it's at 3.0 19205 , got it with 2.2

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Yup, like I said ... 2019 [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk