Sync and Screen died

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, but I picked up the Expedition with all the repairs completed. Unfortunately everything on the invoice shows zeros as to cost. They replaced the cat, rear backup camera, rear piñon seal (which dripped once every two weeks, but why not for free) and changed the rear differential fluid, the apim module with current software, and replaced a pigtail and rerouted camera cables under the front passenger seat. Evidently, the assembly line had a bad habit of not properly routing the camera in the designed channel causing numerous failures. Everything was covered under the extended warranty for the $100 deductible.
The Expedition was bought in Oklahoma and from reading this forum I purchased the warranty online through Flood Ford in Rhode Island(?)
This is the second time I’ve used the warranty and it has now paid for its self and I still have 85k miles left.

I bought the Ford Premium Care service contract - still in effect.

It has paid for a water pump, door check strap, ignition coil, transmission, steering gear assembly, a vehicle rental / loaner for 120 days (two repair trips), and is now paying for an engine vacuum pump that is leaking. I’m battling with the dealership because one of the turbo’s cooling lines is leaking and they said the plan does not cover that leak.

I’m still ahead.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought the Ford Premium Care service contract - still in effect.

It has paid for a water pump, door check strap, ignition coil, transmission, steering gear assembly, a vehicle rental / loaner for 120 days (two repair trips), and is now paying for an engine vacuum pump that is leaking. I’m battling with the dealership because one of the turbo’s cooling lines is leaking and they said the plan does not cover that leak.

I’m still ahead.
Not surprised they won’t cover the leak. I have an aftermarket warranty that won’t cover it either. They “specifically” call out “seals and O-rings” as not warranted if they are the cause of an issue. So, I just replaced the leaky O-ring myself.

Judah144

Reaction score
20 Platinum with 64,000 mile and the sync system quit recognizing my iPhone and started some overall glitchiness. Eventually the screen would go black, then blue, then the cameras would come on at 60 mph, and radio would lock up. I couldn’t turn it off or change channels but fortunately the volume still worked and I could turn it down.

After I show the service writer the issues he climbs in and tries to work it for a couple of minutes. All the while he’s mumbling and I see a worried look as he asked if I have an extended warranty. I say yes and he is super relieved.

You know the repair is stupid expensive if that’s his first question.

Check engine also says I need a catalytic replacement.

First time I’ve EVER purchased an extended warranty and I’m damn glad I did. (too many electronics)

Good (great) news is all the parts are in stock and I should get it back tomorrow.
This very problem recently started to occur with my Expedition. It is a 20 Limited and has 72k miles. I purchased the vehicle used however I did purchase an extended warranty which covers all components. What I have been seeing is that the screen does this intermittently so my fear is taking it up to the dealer and it works perfectly. I guess I will call my local service provider and see if they can take a look at it.