sync update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RJNewelliii

Reaction score
Ok folks need help i have been to the ford website.. I firmly believe my sync needs an update but according to their site it is good, no update needed is what i get.. I have a co-worker who has the same ride, same exact model except hers is red and mine is the pearl white, and hers is a 2011 where as mine is a 2010 but her sync has a more updated version of info, how do i find out what software vers i have verses what should be in the vehicle.
any help on this would be appreciated.

And on a lighter note how hard is it to install a factory version of the keyless start on the vehicle?

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Installing a remote start isn't terribly difficult on these assuming you have experience w 12v wiring and a lot of patience though w the deals most places are running right now I'd just let someone put one in. Viper and Compustar have several models that support the expedition in virtually all year ranges.

I'm installing a Viper DS4+ tomorrow on the 03. Highly recommended. It has quite the list of features available and its affordable.

I'm no help on sync, dont really care for the system and it wasnt really a thing in the year I have. Not thrilled to get it either when we get a 2015+ this spring.

OP
OP
R

RJNewelliii

Reaction score
Aspen03 thanks for the reply and yes 12v is easy it just takes a ton of patience, and i looked at a couple aftermarket but they were priced higher then the factory set up for my expo...
The sync isn't so bad on the newer models, if i'm correct you have gen 2 an that was the first production basic sync the kinks are worked out now, the wife loves it just wishes she had her keyless remote start, on very cold days or super hot days...

Mean_Dean

Reaction score
That happened to my with my 2013 Explorer, did one update through the Ford website and marked the Sync update as complete. Then I could never download a new version when they released one, always said I had the latest version. Ford's tech support never could figure it out. I ended up creating a new account with Ford using my wife's email and added my Explorer to that account and was able to get the latest updates. Just never confirmed that the update was installed again.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aspen03 thanks for the reply and yes 12v is easy it just takes a ton of patience, and i looked at a couple aftermarket but they were priced higher then the factory set up for my expo...
The sync isn't so bad on the newer models, if i'm correct you have gen 2 an that was the first production basic sync the kinks are worked out now, the wife loves it just wishes she had her keyless remote start, on very cold days or super hot days...

Theres a couple options at bestbuy right now you can get installed in the low $200 range. The one I picked is running 199 + tax...including labor. Downside is youd probably have to wait a few weeks for install this time of year unless you get lucky.

I do have a gen2, it had the standard radio w the 6cd changer built in. No sync or navigation. That was honestly what I preferred as I promptly set that aside and went with an android auto unit from pioneer. It makes such a big difference in usability that I'm considering it for all of our vehicles. Even the beater with a heater. That will be a bit of a challenge though as I'll be restricted to a flip out since it only accepts a din size.