Synthetic oil weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would get that oil out of there I would not wait 2800 miles. If you are going to wait that long might as well just leave it in

doesn't make any sense to me

OP
OP
Robert Smith

Robert Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Big Brian. This is probably the last car I’ll own and I want to take car of it but I’m on a fixed income and cannot afford to have two oil changes back to back. Here in Reno it’s about $100.00. Which is why I bought my own oil this time. But not again.

OP
OP
Robert Smith

Robert Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Unless someone thinks I made a serious mistake that will cause damage to my engine, I’ll just get it changed as soon as possible.

I appreciate the input.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your only 1 weight thinner on the low end. I wouldn't worry, Mobil 1 is a superior oil, hell Porsche puts it in their vehicles from day 1. Like you I'm getting on in years, and pick and choose my repairs. Don't get freaked out by others, its just comments. Keep an eye on the level over the next few months, and swap it out in the summer. You'll probably hit 5-6 k by July or so, you can worry then!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Robert Smith

Robert Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks moose! I used a mechanic I trust to install it for me and he said about the same thing just now on the phone.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you dont have to do a complete oil change

a 5 qt jug of Motorcraft 5w20 is about $18 at Walmart. Leave the filter on

I would just suck it up and do it myself, crawl under there with a 5/8" wrench and a pan and drain it and be done with it

like other have said it will probably be fine with the oil you have

but you asked for advice, that is mine

OP
OP
Robert Smith

Robert Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Big Brian. I’ll consider that. I assume mixing the new 5 quarts 5w20 with 2 quarts 0w20 wouldn’t be a problem. It takes 7 quarts total.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're fine!!! Don't go and waste your money dumping perfectly good oil. There isn't that much difference between 0W & 5W. Oil may be cheap but don't be wasteful

These guys are making it sound like youre gonna hurt your motor. Run it as long as you want and switch back to 5W-20 next oil change