synthetic or regular

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duffin

Reaction score
I am going to get trans fluid and filter changed ,in my 03 xlt 4x4, has 82,000 miles should i go with synthetic or just stick with regular ?

2k3Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am wondering the same for mine but I think I am going to stick with the OEM stuff since it has made 125k without concern.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Valvoline makes a great synthetic oil called Maxlife that is specifically made for high mileage motors. I've always used it and had great results.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am wondering the same for mine but I think I am going to stick with the OEM stuff since it has made 125k without concern.

I agree. Trannys don't produce the dirt and wear that engines do. Unless it came with synthetic, I wouldn't switch.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I swear by synthetic fluids. They have even been dyno proven to increase hp on fox body mustangs 3-5 hp when changing motor, tranny and rear diff fluids to full synthetic. Doesnt sound like much but when you consider that was purely frictional losses in the conventional lubes vs synthetic it almost sounds scary...lol.

It can also handle the extremes much better and not break down like conventional oil. Since I sometimes push the limits of my rides I just like the extra insurance the synthetic provides. That being said if you change your fluids as recommended you really should never have any oil related issues.

The tranny also holds a lot of fluid so it can get expensive!!

2k3Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The tranny also holds a lot of fluid so it can get expensive!!

This.

I just don't push it to need the extra protection. I have also seen first hand what Mobil 1 Trans fluid did for my Volvo 850 turbo. It was a "night and day" difference with the shifting after a few hard runs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1