T case fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amos7514

Reaction score
hey hows it going I have a 04 expedition with the 4 auto transfer case will xl12 work with my transfer case?

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, original fluid is Mercon ATF.

Edit: Well after research, XL-12 appears to be unlicensed Mercon. Is the XL12 quite a bit cheaper? I'd personally stick to the regular because I'd fear other additives in the XL12, but maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in too.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Xl 12 is the number Ford gave for the transfer case fluid. They found that using mercon v could actually make the cases explode in rare cases. Ford actually sells a transfer case fluid sold at dealers parts departments. The xl 12 fluid your speaking of should be fine, but I'd do a little more research, or just buy the recommended amount at the dealer.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, should you not use Mercon V in a Transfer case? Thats whats in mine. Its impossible to find just straight Mercon...

sscharlie

Reaction score
I have an 04 Expy 5.4 2V with a borg 4416 TOD transfer case. I just finished rebuilding the 4r70W transmission and thought I had the transfer case covered outside for last two weeks but when I picked it up, water came out of it....so I split the case to clean and looked up the fluid for it. The XL-12 fluid states on the bottle Do NOT use in TOD transfer cases. So what should I put in the damn thing...IJA I did watch Brian's youtube video on it.
The newer ones (TOD) take Mercon LV in the transfer cases. Can't remember right of but I think it was 07 and up. Mine is and older 04 case. I'm leaning towards the mercon V since it has the clutch plates inside.

BTW, I had to pull the intake off to get a stubborn top bolt (tranny to engine) and it was SO EASY to change the plugs. Took 10 minutes...LOL
I did find a cracked cross over coolant/gasket chipped out on the bottom of the intake.
Put in a new starter, old one had the bolt snap off while disconnecting the wires.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Regular Mercon is still available no problem, both through Ford, and all the auto parts store. If memory serves, that's what my 2000 calls for. Why monkey around. If that's what's recommended, use that.

sscharlie

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I just looked at my service manual and it did state regular Mercon.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My owners manual for 2000 also said that.

spsfrank98

Reaction score
I have also seen people use transfer case fluid and Royal purple synchromax both without the additive. I have used the synchromax for 3 years now with no problems

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire