Taping or ticking noise from engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the same noise exactly on our 2v 5.4 expy, pinpoint to front top of passenger bank. Tried oil flush, and replace oil and filter with motorcraft from the dealer, replaced pcv. Sometimes you cant hear it but more than not it is present. As hard as it is to do, I've put it out of my mind as I've been told by others it is not abnormal. heard stories from a baffle in the valve civer loose, to noisy chain guide..

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Difficult to tell from the video. Pretty sure it is not rod knock. It would be much more pronounced and get significantly worse with load. I would guess valve train related. You see a fair number of issues with timing chain tensioners on higher milage expys so thats a possibility. If they get worn or loose enough the chain may slap around. Guarantee its not cam phasers as the 2V motors have none. :)

If you get a mechanics stethoscope you may be able to pinpoint the noise helping greatly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gage2502

Reaction score
Difficult to tell from the video. Pretty sure it is not rod knock. It would be much more pronounced and get significantly worse with load. I would guess valve train related. You see a fair number of issues with timing chain tensioners on higher milage expys so thats a possibility. If they get worn or loose enough the chain may slap around. Guarantee its not cam phasers as the 2V motors have none. :)

If you get a mechanics stethoscope you may be able to pinpoint the noise helping greatly.

Thanks ya its strange.....when the engine is cold you hear it more and than when its warmed up it almost goes away.....

Thanks for replies..

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks ya its strange.....when the engine is cold you hear it more and than when its warmed up it almost goes away.....

Thanks for replies..

fwiw got a 98 ~ 3 years ago with ~ 370 clicks (kilometers) and the same issue,

now at ~ 430 clicks with no change

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your audio sounds like it"s coming from a worn piston pin. Your engine may need to be overhauled.

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
fwiw got a 98 ~ 3 years ago with ~ 370 clicks (kilometers) and the same issue,

now at ~ 430 clicks with no change

thats reassuring, hate the noise, but I dont want to replace an engine if its not needed. Is your noise louder cold, like on first startup? mines sounds like a little troll tapping the block with a mini ball peen.

It also comes and goes, or cannot be heard sometimes (it is not the manifold either)

Last edited:

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thats reassuring, hate the noise, but I dont want to replace an engine if its not needed. Is your noise louder cold, like on first startup? mines sounds like a little troll tapping the block with a mini ball peen.

It also comes and goes, or cannot be heard sometimes (it is not the manifold either)

hear it on cold starts and initial warmup, when we first got the truck home and i heard the noise, I couldn't believe i missed it when i checked it out, could be the prior owner warmed it up first,

it sounds like a very light knocking or tapping

motor has been flawless otherwise having only to deal with a water pump (leak) and starter motor

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hear it on cold starts and initial warmup, when we first got the truck home and i heard the noise, I couldn't believe i missed it when i checked it out, could be the prior owner warmed it up first,

it sounds like a very light knocking or tapping

motor has been flawless otherwise having only to deal with a water pump (leak) and starter motor

I run an auto repair facility and didn't catch it. So don't feel all so bad haha

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mine has had a slight tapping..not really a knock but anyhow its done that since the truck had 60k miles on it.

only really hear it on cold starts and warming up @ idle.

now with almost 93k miles no change in sound and runs/drives perfect! i just dont worry about it.

trust me though, it sounds much worse when its -30F outside and the truck has not been plugged in!!