Tell me about the 3rd gen Ford Expedition...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scobar

Reaction score
Greetings! I am looking at purchasing an Expedition (5.4 3v) for a camping/road trip rig and would like to know if there are any major issues I should be on the lookout for?

Currently I drive a modified 2008 F150, this has been great but we really need more interior room. Can you tell me more about common issues with transmission, driveline, suspension? It looks like the Expedition uses a 6 speed trans vs. F150 4 speed.

Targeting something with 100-150k miles on it, in the F150 realm the revised heads were on 2008 MY F150 with brown COPs, same here? Presume you guys also may also see issues with cracked factory manifolds on the 5.4?

The rear suspension is new to me, appears there is an air option. Any common issues here? How about lift kits? Down the road I may need a lift kit. Did a quick google search and appears there are kits available. What do these do to the driveline/suspension geometry? Known to cause more issues?

I am mechanically inclined and not afraid to spin a wrench. Additionally, I am planning on supercharging the Expedition using a Roush kit. We are looking at both Ford and Lincoln variety, and ideally an EL with 4x4.

Thanks in advance!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tranny and driveline are pretty damn reliable in the expy. The 6 speed tranny really wakes the 5.4 up. If you ever drive a four speed then a six speed they are worlds apart in power delivery and feel. I’ve raced a few 150s with the 5.4 around and mine always pulls away. Yes cracked manifolds are seen as well as cracked manifold bolt studs occasionally on here. The 5.4 stock has lots of untapped power and with a supercharger that engine will produce gobs and gobs of torque. The 4x4 system is another strong point it uses braking bias to act like a limited slip differential, well IMO it is better than a limited slip because it will send more power to the wheel with traction where as limited slip just delivers minimal power to the wheel with grab.

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Avoid the air suspension if you intend to tow. It really complicates setting up a weigh distribution hitch as for a camper trailer.

Even if not towing now look for the HD tow package. Bumps max towing capacity from 6000 to 9000 pounds. It was about $300 retail but more expensive to retrofit. Just look for the round Bargman outlet below the back bumper as a quick clue. 4-pole "boat trailer" outlet is on the left, RV outlet (and HD tow indicator) on the right. A brake controller interface is under the dash board (my '17 has it built into the truck).

5.4 engine in my '07 ran well. Nearly 200,000 miles nearly trouble free. Fuel pump shorted out two years ago. About the only breakdown and not the engine's fault.

-- Chuck

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea that’s important too, there was even a guy with an 09’ on here who said he has 4’ long Holes in the rocker panels. When I bought my truck I saw some bubbles on the rockers and paid accordingly to what I saw. I’m planning on having them replaced in spring. For now they are soaked in fluid film inside.

OP
OP
S

scobar

Reaction score
Thanks for the information.

Towing, no plans to do so, should the need arise, I could use the F150, this has helper springs, LSD, 4.56's, upgraded brakes, and a blower...
Kind of excited about the 6 speed auto trans, the 4 speed is one thing I don't like about my truck and actually would like to swap in a 6sp at some point, then gear down from 4.56 to something more reasonable. Right now the F150's focus is smiles per mile. Had an 11th gen F150 with eco that I just loved, was always in the power band it seemed...
The air ride vs. not, what does it take to convert to traditional spring? Are the perches the same, or?
Transmission, the expedition is heavy, how is the transmission cooling? Are there mods one should do if you were to do heavy towing? On the F150, some may modify the separator plate, change out or remove springs, solenoids, etc. This generally prolongs life of the transmission and the shifts are firmer, most notably the 3-4 shift.
Really would love to skip doing anything with exhaust manifolds on the 5.4, the F150 gave me a few new cuss words esp on the passenger side. Really want to rock the stock exhuast 100% and keep it QUIET.
Is there a MY cut off for new vs. old style heads on the 5.4 like F150? This was june of 2007 IIRC in f150.
The 07-08's that are rotting, that's a major reason to find something from a southern state, and a concern of mine. I don't expect to find something 100% perfect but want something I can park on the road in front of the house and doesn't decrease the property value nor rots away within 1-3 years.

I'll probably be shopping 07-10 MY as these fall within budget. What are common issues for these trucks with say 80k, 120k, 140k? I know enough to peep the common issues on the 5.4 and overall mechanical issues. Figure whichever one I buy, we will do compression test to make sure motor is healthy, new O2 sensors, new fuel filter and possibly a new pump when the blower is installed, and other common maintenance items as needed. I saw there was a supercharging thread in another part of the forum so that was encouraging, even saw someone had used the exact same kit I got on the workbench on their expedition.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information.

Towing, no plans to do so, should the need arise, I could use the F150, this has helper springs, LSD, 4.56's, upgraded brakes, and a blower...
Kind of excited about the 6 speed auto trans, the 4 speed is one thing I don't like about my truck and actually would like to swap in a 6sp at some point, then gear down from 4.56 to something more reasonable. Right now the F150's focus is smiles per mile. Had an 11th gen F150 with eco that I just loved, was always in the power band it seemed...
The air ride vs. not, what does it take to convert to traditional spring? Are the perches the same, or?
Transmission, the expedition is heavy, how is the transmission cooling? Are there mods one should do if you were to do heavy towing? On the F150, some may modify the separator plate, change out or remove springs, solenoids, etc. This generally prolongs life of the transmission and the shifts are firmer, most notably the 3-4 shift.
Really would love to skip doing anything with exhaust manifolds on the 5.4, the F150 gave me a few new cuss words esp on the passenger side. Really want to rock the stock exhuast 100% and keep it QUIET.
Is there a MY cut off for new vs. old style heads on the 5.4 like F150? This was june of 2007 IIRC in f150.
The 07-08's that are rotting, that's a major reason to find something from a southern state, and a concern of mine. I don't expect to find something 100% perfect but want something I can park on the road in front of the house and doesn't decrease the property value nor rots away within 1-3 years.

I'll probably be shopping 07-10 MY as these fall within budget. What are common issues for these trucks with say 80k, 120k, 140k? I know enough to peep the common issues on the 5.4 and overall mechanical issues. Figure whichever one I buy, we will do compression test to make sure motor is healthy, new O2 sensors, new fuel filter and possibly a new pump when the blower is installed, and other common maintenance items as needed. I saw there was a supercharging thread in another part of the forum so that was encouraging, even saw someone had used the exact same kit I got on the workbench on their expedition.

Common issues include heater Blend door actutors, rear wiper transmissions, strange tranny shifts in 6R75 when it’s still cold occur sometimes as with many newer transmissions. They are great trucks my only complaint is rockers.

Last edited:

Deesko

Reaction score
Picked up a 2010 5.4L Expedition 4x4 (not EL) with the HD towing package with 95k miles on it to use as a tow vehicle for our travel trailer.

The TT UVW is 5720 lbs, around 6500 lbs loaded up, tongue weight around 650 lbs, it's 33ft long and we're loaded up with 5 people, coolers, clothes etc and the Expedition works just fine. Going up good inclines it's definitely cranking in 2nd or 3rd gear and pushing 3500-4000+ rpms but nothing abnormal.

We took a trip out to Shenandoah, Va last weekend and even with the mountains (if you can call them that) we averaged 10.6 MPG, tranny temps never broke 195 degrees and engine temps ran no different than normal.

We did have the passenger side catalytic converter go bad (maybe, maybe not) and the passenger side exhaust manifold definitely warped/cracked. Luckily the exhaust manifold was covered under the extended warranty so it only cost us the $250 deductible but the shop said it was a major pain to replace.

Replaced both cats with Magnaflow high flow cats and put on a full stainless steel Gibson cat-back exhaust. Parts were $750-ish, Labor was $450-ish and then the $250 deductible for the exhaust manifold.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase and it does exactly what we need it to do and it's comfortable.

chakakan

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2010 Expedition with 65K for $14k. Was a Federal vehicle out of San Diego. I've lived in N.E. Ohio all my life and this vehicle was a SHOCK to me!!! 7 yrs old and I was able to break strut bolts free with a wrench! If you don't mind less creature comforts check out Asia motors and Chicago motors....you can come across so good buys.