The Expedition is listed in 2018's Longest Lasting Vehicle List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My new job has me driving my own vehicle for business with reimbursement and I was thinking of adding either a small new cheap car or used prius to offset the mileage I'm racking up. Started doing some research on what would be long lasting cheap cars and found this article. I guess I shouldn't have to worry about racking up those miles after all.

The expedition is #2 in the 200,000 mile club and tied for #2 in the 300,000 mile club. That's great!

https://roadloans.com/blog/longest-lasting-vehicles-the-200000-mile-roster

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
That's great & all but like you said.... that gas milage is something to heavily consider in your situation, these things cant even break the 20 mpg easily.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These studies are mostly on older Expeditions, doesn’t really reflect the newer ones. The Tundra is likely largely unchanged as it uses the same engine and trans. The Expedition no longer uses the engines or transmissions that got it the #2 spot.

I guess what I’m getting at is, don’t go buying a 2018 thinking it’s as durable as a 2004.....because it’s not. Lots less metallic and steel parts and lot more plastic and aluminum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve got a 2017, the last of gen 3. Also before buying I checked out the 3.5 eco boost on the f150 forums. There’s a guy there that used his for towing and gave it to his son with around 366,000 problem free miles on it. Also 2 companies I have worked for use ford for their work vans, trucks & sales cars. No issues with the ecoboost.

Although I agree the new generation of expedition hasn’t been out long enough to be on the list. It doesn’t mean it won’t be.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a 2017, the last of gen 3. Also before buying I checked out the 3.5 eco boost on the f150 forums. There’s a guy there that used his for towing and gave it to his son with around 366,000 problem free miles on it. Also 2 companies I have worked for use ford for their work vans, trucks & sales cars. No issues with the ecoboost.

Although I agree the new generation of expedition hasn’t been out long enough to be on the list. It doesn’t mean it won’t be.

There are some crazy stories over there for longest lasting engines. We have a member here with an 05’ 5.4L expy with 500k on the original engine. Bought it new,record holder as far as I know here.

Last edited:

Eagle 71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, this news is sanguine, since I just purchased a 'gently-used' 2013 a month or so ago.
Thanks cmiles for the link!

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is nearly 2 years old and is already busting through 18k miles.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Fake news. Six percent achieve 200,000 miles? Either a lot of these are wrapped around trees, or they're just making stuff up. I don't think I've ever seen an Expedition in a junkyard with less than 200,000 miles.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Mine is nearly 2 years old and is already busting through 18k miles.

LoL... the national average is 15k miles a year... you're a little ways behind buddy, kinda defeating the porpoise of this thread

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My new job has me driving my own vehicle for business with reimbursement and I was thinking of adding either a small new cheap car or used prius to offset the mileage I'm racking up. Started doing some research on what would be long lasting cheap cars and found this article. I guess I shouldn't have to worry about racking up those miles after all.

The expedition is #2 in the 200,000 mile club and tied for #2 in the 300,000 mile club. That's great!

https://roadloans.com/blog/longest-lasting-vehicles-the-200000-mile-roster

Priuses last forever too though... know plenty of taxi and uber drivers with 300+ on their clocks

The low % is just cause so many soccer moms and hipsters run them as 8k/year grocery getters