Thermostat problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vigilante

Reaction score
So I just installed a new thermostat, and while idling the truck, new thermostat installed, I did not see the temp gauge coming up at all. I plugged in my computer and could see I was operating at 180 degrees and the gauge still read dead cold. The thermostat is installed correct (spring side down). I have no leaks at all, the heater core hoses are both hot and the upper radiator hose is cold.

Any thoughts?

OP
OP
Vigilante

Vigilante

Reaction score
Also, I have a light on the dash on. It seems to tell me there is oil in the coolant. It just shows the oil can adjacent to the water temp symbol. There is no oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil.

One more thing, I have water in it right now. The truck has been in my garage in storage for the winter and I drained the coolant out for other maintinence and filled it back up with water. Can my problems stem from a lack of coolant in the water?

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
So I just installed a new thermostat, and while idling the truck, new thermostat installed, I did not see the temp gauge coming up at all. I plugged in my computer and could see I was operating at 180 degrees and the gauge still read dead cold. The thermostat is installed correct (spring side down). I have no leaks at all, the heater core hoses are both hot and the upper radiator hose is cold.

Any thoughts?

Air pocket?!

Assume you refilled coolant with motor running initially?

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
did you happen to knock a wire off the water temp sensor?

I have no idea where it would be located on the modular engines, but I know that was an easy thing to do unintentionally on the older 8's...

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Also, I have a light on the dash on. It seems to tell me there is oil in the coolant. It just shows the oil can adjacent to the water temp symbol. There is no oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil.

One more thing, I have water in it right now. The truck has been in my garage in storage for the winter and I drained the coolant out for other maintinence and filled it back up with water. Can my problems stem from a lack of coolant in the water?

Oil can light means low or no oil pressure. Whats the gauge read?? Dont think these have low oil level lights.

Lack of coolant vs water should not cause issues. Until it freezes or boils that is...lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vigilante

Vigilante

Reaction score
Well my garage is warm, so freezing has been no issue. As for water temp sensor, I'm honestly not sure where it's located. Didn't see it when I started doing the job.

It could be an air bubbly. I hate how there is no direct way to fill up the radiator minus removing the hose and filling it up that way. It was pretty bone dry. And I fed it from the hose until the tank was full. Then started the truck, waited a few minutes, topped it again and took it for a drive around the block and didn't see the gauge coming alive so I just went back home.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That reminds me of a much needed maintenance procedure required on the old SHO's after refilling the coolant: "Burping" the hoses...

if the system was not completely purged of air, the temp gauges would give really wacky readings: could show completely cold when the system was hot, or way over heated when the temp was normal, or even bounce between completely cold and Surface of the Sun hot...

One those cars, the rad hose was designed in such a way the large air bubbles would get trapped in the upper rad hose. After refilling the rad, one would have to "burp" the system by squeezing the upper hose whilst the car was running. This would force the air through the system and ensure a completely filled and purged coolant system...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vigilante

Vigilante

Reaction score
Ok, so I tried "burping" the system to get as much air as I could out of the system. I started te truck to get te system flowing and could tell there was fluid in tr upper radiator hose, and I would squeeze it to try an push the air out of the system. But it seemed to all be in vain. I noticed my check engine light on and it came up with these 2 codes

P0118
p1289

118 is thermostat input too high
1289 is cylinder head temp input too high

Could I have faulty sensors or are there still other issues?

Also, I looked at some videos of other 4.6 thermostat install videos and I see people installing it differently. Spring end down, but instead of te gasket around the edge of the thermostat it just sits on top of the thermostat once the thermostat has been set in place. Which was us accurate? Even my Haynes manual doesn't say.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Ok, so I tried "burping" the system to get as much air as I could out of the system. I started te truck to get te system flowing and could tell there was fluid in tr upper radiator hose, and I would squeeze it to try an push the air out of the system. But it seemed to all be in vain. I noticed my check engine light on and it came up with these 2 codes

P0118
p1289

118 is thermostat input too high
1289 is cylinder head temp input too high

Could I have faulty sensors or are there still other issues?

Also, I looked at some videos of other 4.6 thermostat install videos and I see people installing it differently. Spring end down, but instead of te gasket around the edge of the thermostat it just sits on top of the thermostat once the thermostat has been set in place. Which was us accurate? Even my Haynes manual doesn't say.

Spring end goes down. O-ring gasket on top.

Attachments

• tstat.gif
    tstat.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
OP
OP
Vigilante

Vigilante

Reaction score
Ok. Well that's how it's installed. Tomorrow I'm going back to the auto parts store and swap out the thermostat for a new one.