Thinking about going from my 03 to a 2008/2009...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's the difference like going from a 03 2 valve 5.4 and 4 speed to a newer 3 valve 5.4 and 6 speed trans? Am considering a EL too.

I tow my 7600 GVWR TT all over Ohio, and would like to venture out further. Anyone tow with theirs? How is it?

Robert Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2008 (not EL) and I towed a 26’ Jayco fully loaded from Nevada to North Carolina twice. No issues of any kind. The gas mileage wasn’t the greatest, between 8 and 10 mpg if I recall, but she ran beautifully. I’ve heard the EL has less towing capacity but not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I am honest, when I went from my 02 to my 08 I really didn't notice any change in the towing, I like the stronger transmission that comes with the 08 (more peace of mind) but really didn't notice a change in how it towed but did like all the extra gadgets that came with the 08. If you are really doing this just for towing improvements, I would probably save your money, but if you appreciate all the extra gadgets in the later models (the 08 was quieter inside the car than my 02), then go for it, I love my 08, nicest expedition I have owned (I owned a 98, 03, 05 & 08).

Gary

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's the difference like going from a 03 2 valve 5.4 and 4 speed to a newer 3 valve 5.4 and 6 speed trans? Am considering a EL too.

I tow my 7600 GVWR TT all over Ohio, and would like to venture out further. Anyone tow with theirs? How is it?

I believe 09's got a different trans than the 08's. The newer ones have the tow haul function.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went from a 2007 XLT standard wheelbase to a 2007 Expedition EL Eddie Bauer and like this truck even more than the last. I tow my boat which is 20’ plus a steel trailer (about 4,000 pounds together). The 5.4 3V/6R75 combo has lots of torque delivery so it barely feels it back there. Going to a 3rd gen you gain about 40 horsepower and 2 gears so there is a difference in power and delivery, especially if they are geared equal. The EL is nice since you get some wheelbase and extra cargo room. It’s nice I can put 4x8 sheets inside now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 03 has 225k on it, and is really starting to show its age. I fixed the rockers once, and they are starting to rust again, the radiator support has seen better days. That's why I am starting to look. And, plenty of other stuff.

What years to stay away from? The first 3 years of the 3 valve? So, 05, 06, and 07?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Late 08’s have the newer spark plugs. I’d *think* most of the 2007 trucks have the updated plugs by now. Both of mine did as I tuned them both up with no issues. 2009 got the Tow/Haul mode which is nice to have.

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Late 08’s have the newer spark plugs. I’d *think* most of the 2007 trucks have the updated plugs by now. Both of mine did as I tuned them both up with no issues. 2009 got the Tow/Haul mode which is nice to have.

got ya... That's right the first 3 years had 2 piece plugs, but would "assume; by now they have been changed and the old 2 piece plugs don't exist anymore... I would however before buying it, have them change them anyways so I know I won't have any issues

Matticus

Reaction score
I went from an 03 EB to a 2012 XLT (the vehicles has similar mileage - the 03 I got rid of had 212,000 miles vs 226,000 on the 12). On paper, there isn't a drastic difference in torque (365 vs 350) and it peaks at 3600rpm vs 2600rpm, but I definitely noticed a difference. The extra gears sure help, but I also wonder if there is something different in how they are rated. Why? even though the torque curve says my peak is at a higher rpm, I definitely don't downshift out of my top gear as much when encountering hills, towing a trailer, etc even though they both cruised at about the same rpm at 75mph (around 2100). Maybe the power loss through the drive train is less? Don't know...but I liked it a lot more.