Thoughts on towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Escalante

Reaction score
We have a 2011 Expedition XLT with the Heavy Duty Tow Package. We have a TT 2008 Salem with a dry weight of 7695. We travel very light, no water, have a weight distribution hitch, sway bars, etc.

We have spoken to multiple people that the Expy can handle this thoughts?

Chris_H

Reaction score
Weigh the truck and trailer ready to go and I'd bet you are over the GVWR on the Expy. I just bought a trailer that is about 6500lbs on a Cat Scale with minimum water in it and has 8000lb GVWR. With two adults, a 4yo boy and a 50lb dog we are within 150lbs of the GVWR and 100lbs over on rear axle weight. (2009 limited 4WD with HD towing and Equal-I-zer 10000lb hitch) The truck and trailer manufacturers use some pretty shady numbers for towing and weights when they publish them.
I have realized you can find whatever answer you are looking for on the internet, and maybe ignorance is bliss, but I don't feel great about my situation and there is no way in hell I'd recommend anyone to pull a bigger trailer. My combined weight was 13860lbs, and you'll be over 15,000lbs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Escalante

Reaction score
Escalante- Can I go off topic and ask how you like your Salem? How well has it held up vs the amount of time spent in it. I was looking at new ones because they are much more economical than other trailers.

Static54, we LOVE our Salem we have it at a permanent site since we bought it in 2008. So it was stationary up until last weekend. Our truck pulled it beautifully! No problems! It has held up really well, we use it every weekend in the summer and at least 1 full week in the summer, so it is used alot! I have two kids who are now 15 & 12 and a dog. I really like the layouts they have, and agree is more economical than some. If we were looking to trade I would start with Salem first! Good Luck hope that helps!

Static54

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Milwaukee WI /Anthem, AZ / Grand Rapids, MI
Awesome thanks! I read some bad and good reviews about forest river. Mostly quality issues so I was kind of nervous about the whole thing.

We picked it solely off floor plan. We have a 2 year old and dog so this is what we picked:
8B218AA7-FC81-450C-BB88-865E8888E11A.jpg

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Awesome thanks! I read some bad and good reviews about forest river. Mostly quality issues so I was kind of nervous about the whole thing.

You are correct fit and finish has always been one of FRs bigger problems. FR want's to be the low price leader with a quality coach and that is a tough bill to fit. I will say they have gotten better but if you go to an RV show you can tell the difference between FR and say Cougar or Montana and then even those compaired to a redwood. One of my good friends is a VP for Keystone so we sway that way but if I ever really hit it big I'd love to have a redwood.