Throttle Body is a beast to get out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Figured I would give it a good cleaning today.
Getting to the bottom passenger bolt with the intake tube, charge pipes, hoses and wiring was a pain.
Dropped the dang wrench to the skid plate twice. Then the top driver bolt is blocked by the screw mechanism on the intake tube hose clamp so that took some work to get out of the way.
TB was fairly clean though. The walls had a pretty good carbon build up.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles??

I honestly have never really looked at it so take my question that way......what's the chances of removing air duct(s) to access and clean the TB ?

jeff

Last edited:
OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
10CFD4A6-73CD-417C-80AD-5936A4716390.jpeg The accordion pipe I’ll call it that runs from the air box then splits to the charge pipes has to be removed that comes off easy.
The two charge pipes are then attached way down at the bottom towards the turbos so a bunch of work from underneath to get off.

I could not get The intake tube on the front of the TB off with the TB still bolted on. The hose clamp is indexed with clips that actually grip the lip of the rubber hoseso just loosening it and rotating it was difficult to acces the top drivers bolt.

Then there are a bunch of smaller hoses and wires running under that hose that make it very difficult to get a wrench on the bottom passenger bolt.

If one could get the intake to TB hose off it would be much easier it is just at a weird angle. Once I finally got the TB unbolted I was able to twist it and finally break that hose loose.

I have 53k miles and don’t really think it was worth it.
Certainly not like the days of old where just pop the front hose off soak a rag and wipe it out.

No way I am sticking my fingers in an electronically controlled TB still connected to the vehicle in any way.

It was not terribly dirty just light carbon buildup on the sides.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I appreciate your candidness about not being really necessary at this point. That's a good indicator for us that have the same mileage! I just rolled past 50K.

It's funny but technically, since the TB is on the pressurized intake side, it should receive no carbon....but as we all know, they do.

Thanks,

jeff

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Carbon may not be the right term but a wipe down with a rag and TB cleaner removed a layer of black grit and shined the walls right up.
There is a bit of what looks to be honey colored oil there on the center bottom of the blade.

I would not bother doing it again honestly.

I had a slight flutter in my idle I was trying to get at.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Carbon may not be the right term but a wipe down with a rag and TB cleaner removed a layer of black grit and shined the walls right up.
There is a bit of what looks to be honey colored oil there on the center bottom of the blade.

I would not bother doing it again honestly.

I had a slight flutter in my idle I was trying to get at.

Thats nothing

Check out the burnt jollyrancher epoxy looking coal shit modern EGR-equipped turbodiesels get

If it's a film, whatevs. If it's chunks the size of your pinkie, that's when you start worrying

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition