Thump noise when braking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TsmH

Reaction score
My guess is it could be the old 5 to 4 downshift thumping/hard shift I’m experiencing. I’d say take note of the gears you’re in and shifting to and it’s possible as you reach the lower speeds you’re downshifting in to a certain gear that is causing the thumping.

Others in the forum have had this issue with the 5-4 shift and apparently there is a fix within the transmission. I’m just tired of going in the shop so I’m waiting.
What’s the fix? My dealership says there’s no fix!

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
Was diagnosed as the transmission output and ting ring needed to be greased. There is a Ford bulletin about this I was told.
Appreciate the thread, our 2019 has the exact same issue as you described for the last few months, currently has 25kmi. Same exact thump at the speed and braking situation.

We had to take it in shortly after purchasing it due to the same thump, except it’d happen when applying throttle while backing (not when going into gear). The dealer did the same grease the ting ring etc and it went away, however it’s back. Scary thing is this seems to be popping up ever so often, what happens when the warranty expires?

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
Thanks for for the update JL216. Did yours make the thump on every coast/brake down?
I've only heard mine do it a maybe 5 times or so.
We have a 2019 MAX, ours happens not on every coast/brake down but it does happen quite often in the situation described…just not every single time. We’ve had it in once before for the same thump, looks like we have to bring it in again.

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
Thanks for for the update JL216. Did yours make the thump on every coast/brake down?
I've only heard mine do it a maybe 5 times or so.
Jim, ours doesn’t do it every coast/brake down but probably 30-40% of the time always from 25-15mph. Brought it into to the dealer yesterday to show the service manager. We took it out for a test drive to “replicate” the noise (we all know how that goes in that it never does it for the dealer) but luckily, the first 2 coast downs it made the noise.

Next step is taking it in to actually get it fixed which is a whole other issue.

cstachura

Reaction score
Jim, ours doesn’t do it every coast/brake down but probably 30-40% of the time always from 25-15mph. Brought it into to the dealer yesterday to show the service manager. We took it out for a test drive to “replicate” the noise (we all know how that goes in that it never does it for the dealer) but luckily, the first 2 coast downs it made the noise.

Next step is taking it in to actually get it fixed which is a whole other issue.
Did you get it fixed? If so, what was the repair?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69