Ticking noise comming from right rear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whenever I turn my 03 5.4 on, a loud ticking noise comes from the passenger rear side, almost at the corner of the side and the back. It stays on the whole time i have the car turned. Does anybody know what this could be?

Rfreels

Reaction score
Rearend clutch trouble, search this site for further discussions on this major problem Ford had for several years. I had to have my ring gear and pinion replaced .

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't see any post about people hearing the same noise as mine. Mine makes the noise any and all the time the car is turned on, no matter what the speed is. If it is the rearend clutch, about how much is it going to cost to have repaired?

Rfreels

Reaction score
I'm sorry I misread, I thought you said it happened when you were turning. My friend was quoted 650.00 for clutches, mine was the whole chunk @1560.00.

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hmm that's not good, I hope it's not that. I was just about to spend a few hundred on new brakes and tires because both of them are completely worn out (original on both for 42k miles.) My AC and rear heat isn't working either, I think this will be the last time that I buy a Ford. I'm going to take it in Monday and I'll let you all know what the outcome is.

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The noise is always a constant speed, but sometimes it seems to get louder. It even happens when I'm at a complete stop, with only the accessories on, and not the engine. Maybe I've just slowly gotten use to it as the brakes have worn, but I don't think I have to push the brake pedal down further then normal to brake. Also, I've gotten out and listened to it from the outside and it doesn't seem to be comming from around the calipers, it's more like right behind the plastic siding right under the window.

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by lakmflx
Did you ever find out what is wrong. If you havent yet please post back and let us know. Thanks

I took it in to the dealership today, but they said they were too busy to work on it. I had the technician look at it really quick and he said that it could be something to do with the heater because there is heater components in the area that the noise is comming from. My rear heat doesn't work so maybe he's right. It doesn't make sense why it happens all the time though, whether the heat/air is off or on. I made an appointment for Wednesday morning, and will know then what the real problem is.

Today I also took it in to a different place to have the brakes replaced, and it still does it with the new brakes installed so I can eliminate that possibility.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2