Ticking Sound From Motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acolic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi

I have a ticking sound coming from the motor of my 99 Ford expedition.

If it I didn't know better I'd say the rocker arms were loose but I don't believe the Ford expedition has rocker arms to adjust.

The ticking sound gets faster as I pick up speed.

Sorry I can't be more specific except it sounds like the ticking sound is coming from the top of the motor.

Any suggestions?

whitelightning99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
these expys are knowed to have exhaust manifold problems cracked or bolts rusting and snapping off sure it's not just that ?

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To check if it is an exhaust leak, go to both front wheels and listen if ticking gets louder , an exhaust manifold leak sounds pretty close to a lifter ticking.

You might be hearing the lifters ticking.

Are you low on oil?
What oil are you using? 5w30?

I found most lifter ticking was caused by low on oil or needing an oil change that was way over due.

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had similar issue. Was really noticeable when going through drive throughs or other areas where sound was echoing out the wheel well. Ended up being a loose spark plug. Unfortunately it was doing it long enough to crack the plug. I replaced all 8 with new motorcraft plugs.