Timberline vs Z71 Tahoe 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expy Gator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Today I had a chance to drive back to back my Timberline and a co-workers 2022 6.2 Tahoe Z71. I actually spec'd the Tahoe for this co-worker. The Tahoe feels slightly smaller and a little sportier when sitting in the drivers seat. You immediately notice the seat is firmer and the steering wheel rim is smaller. The nav screen in the Tahoe definitely seems dated compared to my 15" screen. The ride is very similar but the seats in the Timberline are softer. I do like both vehicles but I was shocked how well the Timberline pulled compared to the 6.2. I have always been an old school V8 guy and was really reluctant to buy the 3.5 V6 - I now have no more reservations and am shocked how it felt compared to the 6.2. I feel like I made the right choice. Seems crazy but my co-worker now wants to sell the Tahoe and buy a Timberline after driving it back to back.
510 lb/ft of torque @ 2250 rpm vs 460 lb/ft torque @ 4100 rpm is a huge difference in drivability. Would like to see how much torque the 6.2 is putting out at 2250. Edit - just checked and it looks like 6.2 has around 390 lb/ft.

Last edited:

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The seats in the Expy are far more comfortable than the New Denali XL, Suburban, Tahoe etc. I find the GM seats narrow and short.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I wonder how the longevity and engine repairs compare. Hard to research. Everyone with a problem gets on line and makes their issue sound like an epidemic. I hate complexity when it comes at minimal benefit.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The 6.2 has JUST as much complexity. It has cylinder defeat to try to save fuel. The 3.5 has a long track record now. It is no longer a new motor.

Honestly ANY of us that have owned any EcoBoost powered Expedition since 2015 could have told you it pulls harder than the 6.2. Even the non HO does. It has all of it's torque sooner.

GGecko311

Reaction score
Before I ordered my XLT, I sat in a new z-71 Tahoe and the seats were stiff and uncomfortable. The Expedition seats are definitely softer.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I love V8's I love the 6.2 in the Raptor. But reality is times have changed. It used to take displacement to make HP. Now its all flow, boost and computer controlled perfect mixtures, temps and timings. In 1911 Fiat had a 28 Litre 4 Cyl. And old race cars used to have 18L engines and produced little HP. This is my first eco boost (Timberline) and I love the engine and its power.

maxlim2022

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I love V8's I love the 6.2 in the Raptor. But reality is times have changed. It used to take displacement to make HP. Now its all flow, boost and computer controlled perfect mixtures, temps and timings. In 1911 Fiat had a 28 Litre 4 Cyl. And old race cars used to have 18L engines and produced little HP. This is my first eco boost (Timberline) and I love the engine and its power.

True indeed! The old paradigm
"there's no replacement for displacement" should be changed to
"there's no replacement for displacement, however, total performance may be significantly further enhanced with diverse boost technologies....":)

OP
OP
E

Expy Gator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2014 Raptor with the 6.2. Its much stronger than the new Tahoe 6.2. Compared to my Timberline the initial off throttle response is better in my Raptor but the Timberline really picks up a around 2k rpm and pulls hard.

jrk341

Reaction score
Gearing makes a difference also. Your timberline has 3.73's where the tahoe probably has 3.42 or 3.23 gears.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 6.2L is gutless down low, so the Expedition feels tons stronger on daily driving.