Timing Belt Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98EBExpyLover

Reaction score
Hey, I have a 98 Eddie Bauer Expedition that has never had any problems. I am at 144K miles now and was going over the factory services that are offered. Has anyone changed their timing belt in these vehicles. I dont see where it is offered in my service plan. If you have changed the timing belt, at what mileage did you do so. I appreciate the help.:cheers:

Attachments

• my truck.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 580

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Timing Belts???

Are you asking what drives the cams? If so, the Triton 5.4 uses chains, with plastic tensioner guides, driven off of the crankshaft. I think you should be good for awhile longer!

3 NAILS 1 CROSS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah i agree with rwinch you should be good for a few more miles because that dual over head cam could be quit costly cinsidering theres 2 chains not one.

look at the bright side if one goes out you have another ! just kidding lol

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 5.4l on the '98s are equiped with a Single Overhead Cam, one per each bank of cylinders.
You have two chains, each driving one cam.
Again, there is no regular maintenance on these.

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just remember that the chains are lubed by engine oil. The cleaner and less abrasive the oil, the longer lasting the chain.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni