Timing chain issues 2010 f150 5.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ggreg04

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been having issues with a timing chain on a 2010 f150. The truck has larger tires than stock and no correction made for the speedometer. When driven aggressively the check engine light comes on and it’s for the timing chain. A hard shift is noticed intermittently due to larger tires.

In an effort to address the issue the tires will be changed back to stock. As far as timing goes there is a 2006 expedition 5.4 laying around the house, If I could just swap the engines and not worry about timing a new timing chain so I would have something to drive again on Monday would be preferable.

long story short, is the 2006 5.4 in the expedition just a drop in job into the 2010 5.4 f150?

any and all responses are appreciated as I don’t want to have to spend the 3grand the local shop wants for the timing chain job.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Make darn sure you really have a timing chain problem. Heck, the thing could just have a miss. What makes you think it's a timing chain problem? You may have better luck with your question and the discussion on the F150 forums, as many, many more pickup owners work on their own stuff.

The decision to pull the motor vs. replace the chain tensioners isn't too hard. You can do the tensioners in about 8 hours, if you need them. But before you do make sure you check oil pressure and all that. A 2010 motor shouldn't be shot at this age.

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles do you have on the truck right now ? The '06 5.4 motor had a worse problem with the timing chains AND phasers than the '10 5.4 motor ever had on it's worse day. Unless there were several pistons popping through the hood of the truck right now, there's no way I would trade a '10 motor for an '06 motor. Spend the money on the truck's current motor if it does need a new timing kit. You'll be way ahead, and know the timing gear is new on the motor.