Timing Chains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69mach1

Reaction score
I am going to replace the timing chains on my 2003 EB 4.6 liter, 155,000 miles.
Its making the rattling noise!
A couple of Q's
Replacing the tensioners only vs. the chains and sprockets ?
What companies products would you recommend?

Any helpful hacks?

Thanks in advance

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got a Melling kit about 3 years ago which had the chains, crank sprocket, guides, and tensioner. The modular engines had about a year where the sprockets were actually part of the camshaft as an assembly. Check yours before you invest in Cam Sprockets. I had that on by 5.4L. Since I needed new camshafts, it was a little more challenging. I had to get aftermarket components.

Also, don't forget a new front seal for the crankshaft.

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, Melling kit is the way to go. I got the kit with the cast iron tensioners after I saw that the whole problem on mine was caused by blown gaskets on the factory plastic tensioners. The cast iron tensioners from Melling have machined mating surfaces so they don't need a gasket. Other than that, I got all Motorcraft gaskets (including the front seal) and roller followers. Also there won't be a better time to inspect/replace all vacuum and coolant hoses, especially the 2 heater hoses on the pass side firewall, and replace the water pump and oil pump.

Speed 330

Reaction score
I am going to replace the timing chains on my 2003 EB 4.6 liter, 155,000 miles.
Its making the rattling noise!
A couple of Q's
Replacing the tensioners only vs. the chains and sprockets ?
What companies products would you recommend?

Any helpful hacks?

Thanks in advance
Either Ford stuff which I only recommend or if you have the mailing performance makes pretty good chains and stuff

OP
OP
69mach1

69mach1

Reaction score
So, after taking it apart and putting it back together 3 times, i finally got it working.
You have to make sure the timing marks and chain links line up correctly. It ran after both failed attempts, but would not go over 20 MPH.
The good news is that my mileage has increased by 3 MPG!!!!
It has 157,000 miles on it now, and expect it to go another 150,000.

Lots of work, but it was worth it

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@69mach1 Good work getting it up and running. PIA to tear it down 3 times. You can probably tear it down in just a couple hours now. It took me a whole day (alot of it fighting with those power steering pump bolts).
I replaced my timing Dec 2021 and my engine (re)developed a startup rattle after just a few thousand miles. Really ****** me off. I am not sure if the Melling chain has stretched, or if the iron tensioners peedered out on me. Will tear it down again after desert offroad season ends about April-May and post on here what I find out.
@BlackCoffee have you had any problems with your Melling parts? BTW FordTechMakuloco on Youtube came out with a vid about problems with the Melling cast iron tensioners, but up until then he had been recommending them in place of the plastic Ford OEM tensioners. I don't know, man...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire