timing set replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arobbinsxd

Reaction score
my 2016 expy has occasional chain slap. I'm contemplating tackling the timing set replacement myself. by far the most involved repair I have attempted but I think I can handle it if I take my time. im going to get the specialized tools and parts together over the next month or so. does anyone have a good resource for a parts list? what else should I replace while I'm in there? water pump? oil pump?

HkChuck

Reaction score
Our Ford Explorer Sport (2016) had to have its timing chain replaced. Repair guy said it would
be a good idea to replace the water pump while doing the repair as they had to pull the engine
to do the work and if the pump went bad later they would have to do it all over again to the
tune of several thousand dollars. This repair was covered.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The expedition has an external water pump, and I believe the explorer is internal.

scottc

Reaction score
started intermittently around 110k. during the summer I hardly noticed it but with the return on cooler weather its happening most mornings
Sorry to hear that, arobbinsxd. Does the gen1 ecoboost employ a similar system to that of the 5.4L ? Best of luck.

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chains, followers and phasers if applicable. Bolts galled into aluminum parts can be a pain.