Tinted the tail light lenses on the '11 today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
any sanding involved...i screwed mine up and ended up buying another set...i'd like to get this down...so i'm going to try my 3rd brake light

ChrisJ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you use nightshade?

When I tinted my mustangs I use some black mixed in with a clear and did 3 passes and they came out great...We sanded between coats as well...

OP
OP
F

FormerStangFan

Reaction score
I've always bought vynil tints for my mustangs and thought I would try the VHT nite shades this time as you can basically choose how dark you want it. I've seen people sand the lense but I didn't trust that. I cleaned it thoroughly. Prepped the surface with dupli-color prep spray and wipes then wiped try with a microfiber. I applied 3 light coats of the. It's shades about 10 minutes apart. After an hour of dry time my intensions were to wet sand but it actually came out smoother than I anticipated. Next I applied 4 coats of dupli-color clear coat in the same manor. 3 coats light and the final coat thick. Today I will wet sand and buff them to give it a good shine and get rid of any orange peel. All in all they came out so much better than I thought possible

ChrisJ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only issues with nightshades is the fact they are so affected by the sun and even with the clear they will dull out pretty bad...

If you do them again sand between coats and after the clear like you did...

OP
OP
F

FormerStangFan

Reaction score
To be honest the only reason I tried it is because a mustang buddy of mine does it and sells the lights on another forum and his have held up tramendously to the sun. What he has learned from experience to fend off sun fade truly lies in the quality of the clear coat that you use. I'm sure his will hold up better than mine did as he now clear coats them with a gravity feed paint gun but using the same clear coat that I did. I wasn't as concerned as my vehicles to sit in the sun all day.

OP
OP
F

FormerStangFan

Reaction score
Here they are after a round of wet sanding and round one of buffing. After I get to the shop and install them I'm gonna do a light round of a fine cut polish

1197aa3e.jpg
239e95e6.jpg