Tire Pressure Sensor for 2008 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tvlunn

Reaction score
Quick question for someone willing to help:

2008 Ford Expedition - Eddie Bauer
VIN: 1FMFU17508LA82940
5.4 Liter engine
Rear Wheel Drive - NOT a 4WD

An online Ford Dealership which I've purchased through in the past indicates MotorCraft PN 7L1Z-1A189-A is the correct part number for my truck.

However, two other sites (Amazon & Summit Racing), indicate this part number is for 4WD only??????????

Anyone know for sure? I want to stay with MotorCraft parts and I also want an exact replacement so there are no potential headaches!

Note: I'm also assuming one can utilize the existing band and clips for adhering the new sensors. Is this also correct?

Thanks!

dcsang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am consistently seeing TPMS PN 6F2Z-1A189-A and PN 7L1Z-1A189-A for you VIN and RockAuto provides the additional note "Exc. 433 MHZ; Exc. Accessory" for the latter. I imagine it's relevant if your current sensors are using 433 MHZ and you're not changing the complete set. Hopefully someone with more insight can chime in regarding the distinction.

The Amazon parts verification hasn't always been reliable in my experience.

WEDGE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ran your VIN through my Ford parts look up program, and 7L1A-1A189-A (MOTORCRAFT # TPMS-4) is the correct sensor for your Expedition. I would never, ever trust Amazon to be accurate with parts fitment.

OP
OP
T

tvlunn

Reaction score
Thanks folks!

Rock Auto had 4WD in the product description for this part number. Therefore, I figured it must be for 4WD only. My mistake! I also feel Amazon isn't always reliable as stated. I also checked the Summit Racing website and this part is also only listed as 4WD for an 2008 Expedition. I did not find anywhere on their site where where it was listed for a RWD as well. And honestly, I can't see why there would be a difference in a 4WD and RWD tire pressure sensor.

Anyway, that's why I asked and I now feel comfortable that the 7L1A-1A189-A part will fit and function in my truck!

2nd question: Does anyone know if I can or should reuse the attaching band and clip from the existing sensor OR should these parts always be replaced as well?

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replaced all four band sensors on my '07 with the newer ones that mount in the air fill hole. Just have to get the correct MHZ and reprogram to vehicle.

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is this the part number for all 08 or did Ford have different sensors within that year model? My 08 was manufactured in September 07.
Can the system read a 5th sensor to monitor the spare?

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Help
I still do not know what sensors to buy for my 08 King Ranch. The tire shop wants $80 each and claims they are universal but I’ve read on here that they either wouldn’t program or will only program with the same brand of program tool, so if I use a different shop later that doesn’t use the same tool…

What sensors can I buy at a good price that works with my Expedition and can the system monitor the spare?
I’m broke and bought a set of 5 brand new Bridgestone Dueler HT tires for a $100 that were new dealer take offs from a Jeep. All of my sensors are dead, assuming they are the original with dead batteries. The previous owner must have ran aftermarket wheels because 3 of my 4 tires are the original with an 07 DOT date.
I need to change my tires soon, the old ones have good tread but they’re shaking like crazy at speed so I can’t go on the interstate with my Expedition. I’ve started a lawn care business and my first year it’s all expense and no profit. The tires on my trailer are 20 years old and they’re going to cost me $100 each installed.

Attachments

• 474CA738-2628-4A46-A89F-E45AAF9892CF.jpeg
    474CA738-2628-4A46-A89F-E45AAF9892CF.jpeg
    571.3 KB · Views: 5

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went to the tire shop yesterday and had the new tires put on. It appears my 08 had the band type. I’ll just have to live with resting the tpms warning at every start up. I couldn’t wait any longer, one of the original DOT 2007 tires was beginning to come apart. 5 new Dueler H/T installed. If anyone cares, an 18” alloy does fit underneath for a spare. The Bridgestone Dueler H/T we’re dealer take offs from a 2020 Jeep. I guess this dealership does a lot of big tire upgrades to their Jeep’s, the guy picked out 5 for me that were the spares and never driven on. $100 for all 5. I looked online and they retail for around $180 each. Since the Expedition spare was the original and past it’s 10 year DOT expiration and I had a 5th new tire, I picked up a set of 4 Ford 18” alloys that match mine. Wish I could have changed the hubs on my trailer to put matching wheels since I have 3 more alloys, but couldn’t find any info on there existing a Ford 6 lug pattern trailer hub.

Attachments

• 64E993CB-7057-404D-97A6-7B80CCDFCB2C.jpeg
    64E993CB-7057-404D-97A6-7B80CCDFCB2C.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: