Tire Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have Falken AT3 Wilpeaks. I love them! Very heavy sturdy tire with a good mileage warranty. They are Extreme weather rated so they are my favorite tire at the moment, especially for the price!

After wearing in a little they are noisy but not loud. They also ride quite a bit rougher than the highway tires that came off our truck, but that's fine by me.

My second favorite tire is the Hankook RF10. Had a set on my Jeep, and Dodge truck. Super quiet and smooth riding truck tire. Good offroad traction that wore great! There was a significant ride quality improvement going from my old worn out highway tires to the hankooks.

Last choice is Kumho AT51, good tire with an excellent tread warranty. Great offroad traction. Smooth riding tire that wore good for me and my mom who has them on her 3/4 ton dodge diesel.

20191004_131155.jpg

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am more than pleased with my Wildpeaks. They are made in the Philippines. I will be putting them on my Silverado when it comes time to replace my Geolandars.
I am also debating putting the Wildpeak HTs on the Highlander once the Geolandar G055s go but I have probably 4 more years on them. They’ll dry rot before the tread depth is gone.

Scott Carden

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes the Michelin’s are king. Also in price. I found that Walmart online has the best tire price, headache free warranty and let’s face it Walmart’s are everywhere. Goodyear makes a great tire as well. I was never a fan of bridgestones but I run the HP dueler on my king ranch in 20” and they are wearing like iron. And I am not nice to them at all. Tire metrics is a funny topic used to sell you expensive tires mostly. Get the size for your truck with the proper load rating Witch the general grabber is as it’s a truck tire and you will be be fine. I used grabbers on a truck I had and they wear good and get good traction for the price.

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been looking at the Pirelli Scorpion All-Terrain Plus for my upcoming tire purchase. They have really good reviews and the price is pretty reasonable.

The only downside is to get LT tires you have to move up in size to 285/55/20; throws off speedo by about 0.05%. But I actually like the idea of getting about .5" extra width on the ground, and the speedo can be corrected pretty quickly through ForScan

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have been looking at the Pirelli Scorpion All-Terrain Plus for my upcoming tire purchase. They have really good reviews and the price is pretty reasonable.

The only downside is to get LT tires you have to move up in size to 285/55/20; throws off speedo by about 0.05%. But I actually like the idea of getting about .5" extra width on the ground, and the speedo can be corrected pretty quickly through ForScan

My experience. Stock these speedo are off already. You will actually be more accurate with that slight increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Commodore

Reaction score
I've been using the Firestone Destination LE2s exclusively on the SUVs I own over the last decade + (Yukon XL and two Explorers). I love them: they ride nicely and they handle great in rain and snow. I have Hankook on my 2017 Expedition Limited as those were the stock. I only have 36K on it, so I'm not ready to replace them yet. Recommend you review Consumer Reports on the tires you are considering. Michelins have a great rep but you pay a lot more for them. CR can show you that you can get tires with similar test scores for significantly lower costs, which adds up when you multiply that cost difference by 4!

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a couple pairs of Michelins and they rode good enough, and wore pretty good.

My only complaint with the Michelin is, they dry rot before they wear out. My tires were 4 years old and looked like they were easily 10+ years old due to all the cracking and dry rot. My dad and uncle have had the same issue as me.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Expedition came with a brand new set of Pirelli Scorpion STRs. It was a great tire in the snow, but they were toast at ~35K or so. I replaced them with Michelin LTX (P) tires. Those tires didn't do great on my Mountaineer in the snow, but I thought the much larger Expedition EL would fare better with them. Meh. Not really. On an absolute scale, they're fair. Coming from the Pirellis though, their snow performance sucks by comparison. That said, their treadwear has been far better. I think I've got about 34K on them now and they've got about 6/32 left. Well, the 2 that didn't blow out do anyway. I'm not sure what I will go with next time, but as I have started hauling/towing fairly often I would probably go with an LT tire. I've wished for the ability to air up more when I have 1,200 lbs in the truck more than once.