Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
jrjr, if you want unlimited wheel travel with no possibility of wheel rub, then you are looking at 285/70R17's. If you don't wheel all that much and don't mind a little bit of rubbing under extreme conditions, then 295/70R17's. If you don't mind rubbing, then you can fit 315/70R17's. I ran 315/75R16's on my truck for a month before I got my lift installed. Drove fine, but any time the truck got even a little bit twisted up (ie, trying to turn on to a road that had an incline), I would rub. But, going down the highway was just fine.

So, you can decide from there. Now, this is based on 16x8 rims with 4.5" of backspacing. You get less backspacing, then obviously your tire size is going to have to get smaller.

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys. My Expy has the stock 17" rims and are in decent shape. It needs new tires though thus my questions. It may come down to what's available in the different sizes and the associated price points. I have really only looked at Tire Rack online which doesn't have much in the 285 line that I cared for.

2000UN93

Reaction score
I noticed as soon as you go any bigger from the stock size for the 17" wheels the pricing starts climbing fast. Gotta pay to play I suppose.

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I noticed as soon as you go any bigger from the stock size for the 17" wheels the pricing starts climbing fast. Gotta pay to play I suppose.
Me too. Supply and demand at its best I think.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
jrjr, I have figured out how to fit 40's with only 7" of lift (4" suspension with a 3" body). Granted, the amount of body work is astronomical. I think it would be interesting to see the looks I would get then. I have even contemplated it.

Now, when you start talking 44's, then I am going away from the Expy. I already have plans for something with 44's (possibly 52's). Look up "Scorpion" and tell me what you think. If I go hard core, that is what I am going with. I'm going to power it with either a diesel or an I-6 300 CI motor with a twin screw supercharger (not a centrifugal, twin screw, BIG difference). But then, it will also have Rockwells under it too to handle the stresses I would put it through. he he he h eh eh ehe.

Last edited:

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Something like this you mean?
MKI%20Top%20Truck%20Challenge.jpg

I like :worship:

BigDaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys. My Expy has the stock 17" rims and are in decent shape. It needs new tires though thus my questions. It may come down to what's available in the different sizes and the associated price points. I have really only looked at Tire Rack online which doesn't have much in the 285 line that I cared for.

I just had the Nitto Terra Grapplers put on my '01 yesterday. Did them in a 285/70 17. I've only put about a 100 miles on them, but I am loving them so far and they look great on the truck. The shop that put them on remarked about how straight they were. All four of them balanced almost exactly the same.

I paid $950 mounted and balanced through my local shop. Of course, after I ordered these, I saw that Nitto made them in a 285/75 which would have given me a touch more height.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
jrjr, yes, something like that. I would just add a few of my own "personal touches" to the truck. He he he he he.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PalosX