To get Extended warranty or Not to get it ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

atmasters

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This warranty is from the Ford dealership I get the truck from. I am live in B.C. Canada. I just wish it was no so much to get lol. I still have a few years of power train.

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would think hard about it as you are before the bumper to bumper is gone I bet the price will really increase afterwards. I looked at it like this. Could I reasonably forsee spending that much on repairs in the four years after factory warranty is gone? Even with the powertrain coverage could I see it? For me the answer was yes. I cannot believe how much parts have gone up recently. $5k is a lot though and would make me think hard on it. I guess it comes down to knowing it won't cost more than that price and gambling it on it.

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BTW did you get a quote online from Ford and does the warranty from Canada cover wear parts?

OP
OP
A

atmasters

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BTW did you get a quote online from Ford and does the warranty from Canada cover wear parts?

No I did not get a quote from Ford online I might look into that. This quote was from the ford dealership I bought the truck from. It is a hard one $5000.00 is a lot of money but so are the power running boards. I just dont know what the history of these trucks. Are they prone to breaking down ? Are the power running boards a problem for most people that have them ? This is what I need to find out before I pay that kind of money.

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe that they are reliable vehicles. I have learned my lesson the hard way with buying the first model of a new car. Do Not Do It. Over the years I have had 2 large Suv's being Suburbans and two Expeditions and have had good luck for the most part. When my 03 EB got around 40k on the clock about 3 years old I had forgotten about the serious electrical problem that it developed. I had the extended warranty on it and over a year or so every major and some minor chip and relay and fuse link on it had to be replaced. It started with the lights and crept through the A/C and engine. I remember that the DVD in the roof went out with the children on a trip when the A/C failed it was a hot night in Florida. (The Ford dealer in Keys was great.) I would guess that Ford spent in excess of $3 or 4,000 with these repairs and rentals and towing maybe more. All of the sudden a Regional Ford Service Tech had the idea of replacing something in the passenger compartment and problem finally solved. I kept it until recently with over 100k miles. I next had the pleasure of having a new car Lemon Lawed. I bought this Jeep and after two weeks it sat at the dealer for three months waiting for parts for it's Italian diesel. Thank the Stars for extended warranties that provide a rental during the factory warranty period.
So I guess I have more than given my opinion on this. I had forgotten about the problem with that 03 EB until I responded to you.

OP
OP
A

atmasters

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe that they are reliable vehicles. I have learned my lesson the hard way with buying the first model of a new car. Do Not Do It. Over the years I have had 2 large Suv's being Suburbans and two Expeditions and have had good luck for the most part. When my 03 EB got around 40k on the clock about 3 years old I had forgotten about the serious electrical problem that it developed. I had the extended warranty on it and over a year or so every major and some minor chip and relay and fuse link on it had to be replaced. It started with the lights and crept through the A/C and engine. I remember that the DVD in the roof went out with the children on a trip when the A/C failed it was a hot night in Florida. (The Ford dealer in Keys was great.) I would guess that Ford spent in excess of $3 or 4,000 with these repairs and rentals and towing maybe more. All of the sudden a Regional Ford Service Tech had the idea of replacing something in the passenger compartment and problem finally solved. I kept it until recently with over 100k miles. I next had the pleasure of having a new car Lemon Lawed. I bought this Jeep and after two weeks it sat at the dealer for three months waiting for parts for it's Italian diesel. Thank the Stars for extended warranties that provide a rental during the factory warranty period.
So I guess I have more than given my opinion on this. I had forgotten about the problem with that 03 EB until I responded to you.

Thanks for the information. I think I will look at getting it. I know it is a risky game without its the what if game lol.

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A vehicle is the only thing I will buy an extended warranty for, for most other things its a waste of money. The only other exception I can think of is a very expensive trip or cruise.