To Sell or not to Sell...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buckwheat-phd

Reaction score
My 2020 KR stickered for better than $81k, and I wouldn't sell it for 2 offers I've had in excess of 6 figures with just 2k miles so far. It left the factory in October of 2019, and a month after that I was one of the first to catch Covid myself (yes, airline pilots can get it too). After taxes, add-ons, extended warranties etc, I'd be within $10k of breaking even with those generous offers. One fella said he just wanted a known quantity; a known solid, working truck and was willing to pay.

So some of you would find it appealing, but not for me right now so I'm keeping what I've got. IMHO it'll be more than 2-3 years before we get out of the Covid manufacturing and availability funk. I bought it from a volume dealer in Atlanta, and after several conversations the GM said the most troublesome units by far have been the 2021s (read made in mid-2020). He did mention the proverbial camshaft issues have been fixed, however problems have just manifested themselves in other areas in spades on these 2021 units. Most of the 2021s were manufactured in 2020, or sat in storage for almost a year prior to sale waiting on QA and/or Chinese electronics.

Just my 2c, but I'd get the engine fixed and keep it

buckwheat-phd

Reaction score
My 2020 KR stickered for better than $81k, and I wouldn't sell it for 2 offers I've had in excess of 6 figures with just 2k miles so far. It left the factory in October of 2019, and a month after that I was one of the first to catch Covid myself (yes, airline pilots can get it too). After taxes, add-ons, extended warranties etc, I'd be within $10k of breaking even with those generous offers. One fella said he just wanted a known quantity; a known solid, working truck and was willing to pay.

So some of you would find it appealing, but not for me right now so I'm keeping what I've got. IMHO it'll be more than 2-3 years before we get out of the Covid manufacturing and availability funk. I bought it from a volume dealer in Atlanta, and after several conversations the GM said the most troublesome units by far have been the 2021s (read made in mid-2020). He did mention the proverbial camshaft issues have been fixed, however problems have just manifested themselves in other areas in spades on these 2021 units. Most of the 2021s were manufactured in 2020, or sat in storage for almost a year prior to sale waiting on QA and/or Chinese electronics.

Well I read back in this thread a few hours and it looks like the war dept won out lol. Like I said I'd delist it and keep it, but only if you can stand to deal with Ford. Sounds like if just a few annoying issues were resolved, you'd have one *******' truck that's worth close to it's new sticker price

OP
OP
C

cdog2964

Reaction score
Well I read back in this thread a few hours and it looks like the war dept won out lol. Like I said I'd delist it and keep it, but only if you can stand to deal with Ford. Sounds like if just a few annoying issues were resolved, you'd have one *******' truck that's worth close to it's new sticker price
I would agree that if the dealership(s) would actually fix the issue, i would probably keep it, but i have had no luck with that at 3 dealerships and the market is giving me a pretty good out with the high value.
Now, for full disclosure, im not a noob when it comes to full size SUVs. I have or had a 2006 Sequoia, 2011 Suburban, 2020 Armada, 2018 LX 570 and the 2019 expo max. Yes, i have a car buying issue, my garage and driveway looks like a parking lot... However, all of those SUVs have had some warranty issue with the exception of the Armada for some odd reason, and the dealerships all resolved them quickly without hassle. With the exception of Ferd...

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score

My 2021 KR stickered for over $80K . Send those folks offering over 100K+ to me! I can be persuaded. lol

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would kind of have to agree at this point, the dealerships that represent Ford (even though they like to hide behind the dealerships being "independent"), they still represent the brand and its who we interact with, are getting worse by the day. I don't seem to have a decent dealership within 50 miles now, and I'm in a major metro area. Simply don't have the time... Other brands are sure becoming more appealing to me right now.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm with the if you genuinely don't like it just wash your hands of it and let it go. Typically once your in that mindset every single thing that could be or is an issue will constantly be on your kind and you'll hate it forever, at least until the next vehicle does the same and the cycle repeats.

Being 16 doesn't dictate an actual necessity for a vehicle, sure it's great bragging rights to friends but it's far from required. I didn't get mine until closer to 17 and I wasn't shunned in school or traumatized by it in any way. Surely at thst age he can understand the current market and situation if it persists.

I'm not sure I'd ever buy a brand new vehicle these days unless I was in the position to by a 2nd one on the spot if issues popped up. There are so many people that complain about vehicles built in the last 5 years (not just ford) that have few miles on them yet a laundry list of annoying problems. Part of that position is likely that even though I've been driving for over 20 years I've still never purchased new I haven't been left high and dry by any used purchase, only minor issues. It's sometimes nice to let the original owner take the heat on those early problems so that when I eventually pick it up we're all set.

buckwheat-phd

Reaction score
My 2021 KR stickered for over $80K . Send those folks offering over 100K+ to me! I can be persuaded. lol
Your bet, FC. The two on the table have since faded; they knew a few months ago I would have considered it. Both were referred by the dealer as a favor as we had joked around about it. If it comes up again, I'll ping you for sure.

BTW - after fees, taxes, allowances, etc are you really sure you'd dump your KR? Would you get into another one? You happy with your 21?

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your bet, FC. The two on the table have since faded; they knew a few months ago I would have considered it. Both were referred by the dealer as a favor as we had joked around about it. If it comes up again, I'll ping you for sure.

BTW - after fees, taxes, allowances, etc are you really sure you'd dump your KR? Would you get into another one? You happy with your 21?
I like the truck. But if Ford can't fix it, it will become a source of aggravation, I'm too old for the BS. Been there done that. I've said before I don't fall in love with a truck. So, yup, I'd probably move it if the money was right. I'd look real hard at a Suburban

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am interested in the Grand Wagoner as it claims 9850lbs tow. Interior is awesome and big. I just need to see it in real life. One pics it looks cool. Others it looks like a bloated liberty and no turbos or supercharger. I can see them putting the hellcat motor in one very soon.
I saw a new Wagoneer last weekend at Roadkill Nights. It looked like a Grand Cherokee mated with a Tahoe..... Love the Hellcat idea, but man it was very disappointing looking.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I saw a new Wagoneer last weekend at Roadkill Nights. It looked like a Grand Cherokee mated with a Tahoe..... Love the Hellcat idea, but man it was very disappointing looking.
The Durango has the 392 in some, good luck finding one though.