To service the transmission, or not service the transmission? That is the question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caesar53

Reaction score
Had my 2016 XLT with 60k miles to the dealer for service. Like every other dealer they come up with a list of suggested services. Most suggest the BG flush of whatever BG can flush which I never fall for. I requested a change of trans oil and filter. The service writer said they don’t call for it until over 100k miles and the price was exorbitant. I let him lnow that I was a mechanic and couldn’t see much value in flushing the trans without a new filter. They push this BG system because it’s easy compared to doing it the proper way and a way for them to make a quick buck. With a 100k extended warranty I guess I’ll wait. BTW every time I’ve had any of our vehicles in the dealer they always suggest a cabin filter no matter how low the mileage is. $50+ for a $10-15 part and two minutes of labor. Three minutes if you include the time it takes to empty my wife’s glove box. I called the Ford dealer’s bluff and asked them to show me where the filter is. 2016 XLT does not have one. Makes me wonder if I had told them to change it would they have charged me for one.

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've owned four expeditions. A 97, a 2000, a 2004 and I bought my wife a 2013 King ranch, which has more features than my 2020 lincoln. My wife absolutely loves that car and I can't get her to consider trading it. So my question here is, since it is now 10 years old and only has 55,000 miles on it, most of which were accumulated when we lived in Colorado and it was a 50 mile round trip to do anything, gasoline, groceries etc., and in our new home she only drives it on Friday to the hairdresser which is less than a 5 mile round a trip. I don't see anything in reading the posts above regarding changing fluid based on age. I never flushed but I did do maintenance at 100,000. Ain't going to happen with this car. Any recommendations there? And I would not flush it.

proftomda

Reaction score
I've owned four expeditions. A 97, a 2000, a 2004 and I bought my wife a 2013 King ranch, which has more features than my 2020 lincoln. My wife absolutely loves that car and I can't get her to consider trading it. So my question here is, since it is now 10 years old and only has 55,000 miles on it, most of which were accumulated when we lived in Colorado and it was a 50 mile round trip to do anything, gasoline, groceries etc., and in our new home she only drives it on Friday to the hairdresser which is less than a 5 mile round a trip. I don't see anything in reading the posts above regarding changing fluid based on age. I never flushed but I did do maintenance at 100,000. Ain't going to happen with this car. Any recommendations there? And I would not flush it.
I would not be worried about the transmission fluid age at 10 years old and only 55,000 miles. Moving forward let the visible condition of the fluid be your guide but I would change at 100,000 if not done before. You can do a pan drop and fill which is about a 30% change. I do a complete exchange in which I disconnect a trans cooler line and pump thru 13 quarts. There are many ways to do it.

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would not be worried about the transmission fluid age at 10 years old and only 55,000 miles. Moving forward let the visible condition of the fluid be your guide but I would change at 100,000 if not done before. You can do a pan drop and fill which is about a 30% change. I do a complete exchange in which I disconnect a trans cooler line and pump thru 13 quarts. There are many ways to do it.
That makes perfect sense to me. Thanks and I appreciate the direct answer.

Drae

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're going to change the fluid and filter in a 6R80, I suggest changing the wiring harness connector sleeve while you're in there. I was one of the guys thinking I had a unicorn and it failed right before 150K miles (2010 Expedition). I changed the filter and OEM Motorcraft fluid and it took 9 quarts to fill it up so it was damn near a complete change. I was surprised at the amount to refill reading 7.5 quarts at the most while doing a filter and fluid change. I caught it as a small drip leak also so I repaired it within 2 days of the failure. For some reason as soon as I removed my dipstick and cap, the fluid started spilling out everywhere. Just make sure to fill the transmission at operating temp to the correct line on the dipstick and you should be fine. I just did this less than a month ago and it's been solid and shifts great without any slip or weird shifts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire