To splice or not to splice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew T

Reaction score
Negative battery cable is awful short, it barely reaches the post. I reconnected the terminal after cleaning things up a bit but would like to assure that the connection is going to stay good. It looks like the terminal has been replaced before and it looks like someone just cut the old connector off. Can I splice some extra length on it or should I bite the bullet and replace with OEM configuration?

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd personally replace. Each splice is an invitation for corrosion and failure. Stressing a stretched cable is no good either.

Ford makes a complete replacement kit, I believe they include whole new negative cable, new positive to starter, alternator, relay leads etc. One whole bundle. Something along the lines of part number 2C6Y-14300-AA - do your research to make sure of the one right for your trucks specs. I don't think Ford offered a stand-alone negative cable, but not 100%. Should be plenty of aftermarket options as well, but I'm an OEM fan myself.

Plati

Reaction score
Splice the cable from battery to ground? Really? For real?