Torque Converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lumbee1388

Reaction score
How is everyone doing? I have a question that maybe someone can help shed some light on. I have a 2000 Expedition EB 5.4L 4X4 with 119,000 miles on it. About a month ago or so I noticed the tranny slipping, so I changed the oil in it hoping this would help it out. Then again today it started happening all over again. It slips when Im going up hills and when I first put it in drive from park. Is it just the torque converter is going out on it or the whole tranny? Any help will good thanks.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
How is everyone doing? I have a question that maybe someone can help shed some light on. I have a 2000 Expedition EB 5.4L 4X4 with 119,000 miles on it. About a month ago or so I noticed the tranny slipping, so I changed the oil in it hoping this would help it out. Then again today it started happening all over again. It slips when Im going up hills and when I first put it in drive from park. Is it just the torque converter is going out on it or the whole tranny? Any help will good thanks.

Did you drop the pan and replace filter?? Was/is the filter seated properly? I would say no to the converter being the cause of the problem.

Is your O/D light flashing??

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lumbee1388

Lumbee1388

Reaction score
No I didn't drop the pan because it had a drain plug on it and no I didnt replace the filter, now I wish I would have replaced the filter, and no the O/D light isn't flashing.

OP
OP
Lumbee1388

Lumbee1388

Reaction score
Here's an update to the problem, I was driving home today all my gears went out ,so now the only gear I have is reverse. Need help BAD PLEASE!!!!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Here's an update to the problem, I was driving home today all my gears went out ,so now the only gear I have is reverse. Need help BAD PLEASE!!!!

Trannys are not my thing but sounds like it is starving for fluid for whatever reason. I would have dropped the pan to check condition of the filter because that is an easy fix. Anything else your likely to have to get the transmission serviced.

Check to make sure tranny fluid is at proper level. Do not overfill...bad for tranny. When you refilled after you changed fluid did you cycle tranny between forward and reverse multiple times to circulate fluid through out?

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Are you by chance in or near Maryland?

OP
OP
Lumbee1388

Lumbee1388

Reaction score
No, Im stationed in Germany and every shop I go to doesnt want to look at my truck because its bigger than what they are used to. I guess I will try changing out the filter and see what happens.