Touch control on 3 doors not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lawrence T-D

Reaction score
This happened to me a year ago and now it’s happened again. None of the touch features (open or close) on any of the passenger door handles are working. The driver’s door is just fine. The local Ford Dealer fixed it last time but now says I have to take it into their main Ford Dealer location to fix. Anyone else had this issue?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This happened to me a year ago and now it’s happened again. None of the touch features (open or close) on any of the passenger door handles are working. The driver’s door is just fine. The local Ford Dealer fixed it last time but now says I have to take it into their main Ford Dealer location to fix. Anyone else had this issue?
You have a low vehicle battery. There are a couple other threads about it, one from as recently as late last week.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/ford-expedition.45651/

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/intelligent-access-door-handles-not-working.42347/

Reaction score
I agree with aggiegrad05 you should check your battery. Really look to see if the terminals have any green crusties. Also, not clear if you have added any aftermarket items. If you have double check those connections and consider adding them via a relay if they aren't already. Sometimes these can create a parasitic draw. If after a visual nothing obvious check with a voltmeter if you can and consider charging up overnight if you're able. If the issue goes away great, but watch more if it comes back. Then you can start checking where a draw could be coming from.

OP
OP
L

Lawrence T-D

Reaction score
Interesting. It doesn’t act like the battery is low. I’ll hook up my battery tender on Thanksgiving and leave it charging all day and overnight.

Thanks - I’ll report back.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting. It doesn’t act like the battery is low. I’ll hook up my battery tender on Thanksgiving and leave it charging all day and overnight.

Thanks - I’ll report back.

Neither does mine when it does this. But anytime I leave my doors open a lot or just take short trips I lose my door handle access. The “always on” sensor associated with those is just one of the first systems the vehicle dumps when it’s working on less than a full charge.

I had the issue pop up last week (we’re moving and I was in and out of the vehicle a lot to load/unload). Hooked the tender up overnight and all the handles again work like a champ.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine does this often, but I have my dash cam on sensor mode. My neighborhood is not the greatest, so I like to have it monitor it.

This also happens more when the weather gets colder and when I don’t drive as often or as far. Although it did happen once or twice over the summer when I did not drive it for 2-3 days.

Go for a longer drive (10 minutes or so) and see if it continues. If so, a trip to the dealer may be warranted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

Lawrence T-D

Reaction score
Mine does this often, but I have my dash cam on sensor mode. My neighborhood is not the greatest, so I like to have it monitor it.

This also happens more when the weather gets colder and when I don’t drive as often or as far. Although it did happen once or twice over the summer when I did not drive it for 2-3 days.

Go for a longer drive (10 minutes or so) and see if it continues. If so, a trip to the dealer may be warranted.

Thanks, and yes I suspect my dash cam (I am going to update its firmware tonight). And yes to this being more noticeable in colder weather. (Well I am in Alabama so let’s say “cooler”).

My daily commute is 20 mins or so but no long journeys as of late due to the pandemic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The times this has happened to me it’s been low battery voltage every time. I had one of the early tailgate buttons that would get stuck and it was was causing a draw, once replaced it hasn’t come back.

Brian Kile

Reaction score
Yes, I had this happen to me recently, however after putting it on a trickle charger, all the doors starting working again, but then the next 2 times I drove it I received a charging error, that popped up while I was driving. I retuned with the stock file, thinking I was going to have to take it into Ford, after a week it hasn't happened again, so I reflashed my tune and haven't had any issues since, I can't figure out what caused it. I contacted 5 star to see if they might have experienced it, but they said no, to try and get it to throw the code again and get it in to the dealer. We will see.

OP
OP
L

Lawrence T-D

Reaction score

I put it on my battery tender for half a day and the locks did start working again for a while at least. It needs more charging but that appeared to be the issue! I also set my dash cam to a short 1 minute screen saver as this was most likely the root cause of the parasitic drain.

Thanks everyone!