Tow package for extra 4x4 worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gas are great for fun factor, but when you work them hard, the diesel is what you want. I know a lot of guys just won't buy a diesel for whatever reason, so the big gas is probably a good idea. Ford sold the heck out of that big gutless V10, just because it sounded good on paper.

The anti-diesel world is growing, that is because of increased maintenance costs/ reduced reliability, high fuel costs, high up-front costs, new emissions regs. Fleets went to Ford and asked for a heavy duty engine that doesn’t have these because the diesel isn’t making sense anymore. This is what they responded with. The 6.8 V10 was 350 horsepower, the 7.3 is 430 horsepower and MUCH lighter being pushrod with a 10 speed. It will be nothing like the V10.... Lots of fans of this new engine in the Super Duty forums it’s got an excellent torque curve and is relatively detuned for reliability reasons. Sure they could raise compression and get 500 horsepower, but that makes a peaky torque curve and less longevity factor. As it stands you won’t find an HD gas engine in the market with a better torque curve:
1CD064FB-ED2D-47F4-BA22-9A9D5F6B60B4.jpeg

Last edited:

GC2019

Reaction score
I’ve owned several Diesel engines...
I made the mistake of going back to gasoline for all of the reasons you stated..
I’ll be correcting that mistake shortly.

Buying the gas engine in a SD is like buying a four banger in a Mustang..
Some will say otherwise, but those who want power will not be opting for half, especially when Ford is ready to offer a real monster diesel..

The truck forums are in agreement that the final 7.3L numbers are a disappointment. Most were expecting at least 500-550 torque numbers, and not a weaker 475. No one cares about acceleration times in a HD, but if you were, the new diesel will drop the same 475, but coupled with turbo power. ..in fact will probably be quicker than the gas engines, especially with the new 10 speed that will keep the engine RPM planted in the sweet spot.

It’s a great price point for fleet engine buyers or companies looking for a lower initial cost and lower maintenance. Great for those who can’t swing the price of a diesel, and maybe for those who plow snow and use the truck in extreme cold weather situations...But no one who wants or needs torque to RV, or tow commercially will buy one over a diesel. If they do, it will be short term just like me. The fuel numbers will be abysmal towing with gasoline, and the torque is less than half, which is disappointing mile after mile of driving a slug.

Diesel engines totally dominate Super Duty sales for one reason, torque.
And when Ford develops a completely redesigned 6.7L making 1,050 lbs of torque below 2,000RPM with a new fuel system working at 36,000 PSI, new forged pistons, new combustion chamber, new turbo with electronic control, and nothing will change, but rather increase.

Last edited:

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve owned several Diesel engines...
I made the mistake of going back to gasoline for all of the reasons you stated..
I’ll be correcting that mistake shortly.

Buying the gas engine in a SD is like buying a four banger in a Mustang..
Some will say otherwise, but those who want power will not be opting for half, especially when Ford is ready to offer a real monster diesel..

The truck forums are in agreement that the final 7.3L numbers are a disappointment. Most were expecting at least 500-550 torque numbers, and not a weaker 475. No one cares about acceleration times in a HD, but if you were, the new diesel will drop the same 475, but coupled with turbo power. ..in fact will probably be quicker than the gas engines, especially with the new 10 speed that will keep the engine RPM planted in the sweet spot.

It’s a great price point for fleet engine buyers or companies looking for a lower initial cost and lower maintenance. Great for those who can’t swing the price of a diesel, and maybe for those who plow snow and use the truck in extreme cold weather situations...But no one who wants or needs torque to RV, or tow commercially will buy one over a diesel. If they do, it will be short term just like me. The fuel numbers will be abysmal towing with gasoline, and the torque is less than half, which is disappointing mile after mile of driving a slug.

Diesel engines totally dominate Super Duty sales for one reason, torque.
And when Ford develops a completely redesigned 6.7L making 1,050 lbs of torque below 2,000RPM with a new fuel system working at 36,000 PSI, new forged pistons, new combustion chamber, new turbo with electronic control, and nothing will change, but rather increase.

Exactly my thoughts! I love that they are a offering a better gas option, but its just never going to compete with the grunt of a diesel, muchness a tuned up Diesel.
This 7.3L sounds good just in shear size alone, but I expected 550 torque or so. Once you load these trucks heavy, the gasser will be sucking fuel and far slower than the Diesels. Either way, It'll be cool, so I'm glad they are building it!

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Exactly my thoughts! I love that they are a offering a better gas option, but its just never going to compete with the grunt of a diesel, muchness a tuned up Diesel.
This 7.3L sounds good just in shear size alone, but I expected 550 torque or so. Once you load these trucks heavy, the gasser will be sucking fuel and far slower than the Diesels. Either way, It'll be cool, so I'm glad they are building it!
I would also agree that 550 would have been a great target but one fact for sure is that 90% of the f250s sold with the diesel are being SEVERELY under used!!!! I have several friends and work with several more guys who own them and not one of them toes anything that would require anything over a 1/2 ton!!! It’s so funny.

GC2019

Reaction score
The anti-diesel world is growing, that is because of increased maintenance costs/ reduced reliability, high fuel costs, high up-front costs, new emissions regs. Fleets went to Ford and asked for a heavy duty engine that doesn’t have these because the diesel isn’t making sense anymore. This is what they responded with. The 6.8 V10 was 350 horsepower, the 7.3 is 430 horsepower and MUCH lighter being pushrod with a 10 speed. It will be nothing like the V10.... Lots of fans of this new engine in the Super Duty forums it’s got an excellent torque curve and is relatively detuned for reliability reasons. Sure they could raise compression and get 500 horsepower, but that makes a peaky torque curve and less longevity factor. As it stands you won’t find an HD gas engine in the market with a better torque curve:
View attachment 32747
Just so you are not confused on just how much less than half will disappoint...

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What
Just so you are not confused on just how much less than half will disappoint...

What do you tow? If you pull a big camper then diesel all day. However unless you are hauling 14,000 pounds plus regularly the gas job will pull it no problem. I pull 5,000+ pounds occasionally with my Expedition and the 5.4 Triton has no problems maintaining speed or accelerating...if you just haul 5-10,000 pounds and use the payload I’ll take the gas job every time. The 7.3 will be a very capable power plant and matches and beats the diesels of a decade ago.

GC2019

Reaction score
I understand. If you are satisfied with a 5.4L, then by all means NEVER drive or tow with a diesel. You won’t be the same no matter how you try to sell yourself on less..
I mostly haul air, or sometimes groceries. Every now and then, I tow a 10K boat. Meanwhile after having both, I’ll opt for the power.

I trade often, and resale usually balances out perfectly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357